No announcement yet.

Vetter wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about making some kind of rubber washers for my fairing, but I kinda agree with Bug's point of view....
    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

[QUOTE=CatatonicBug;373154]I think it's kinda funny that the instructions say, "XS11 'Special'", but all the pictures are for a Standard.

Yeah, it's real funny(RAOTFLMAO), but if you look at the heading on the directions it states XS1100, Special...with the comma inserted, that means the instructions are for the Standard and the Special...Geez, I believe you'd argue with a sign even if YOU painted it....As far as the rubber isolator washers go, I guess Craig Vetter didn't know very much about doing this even though he's the one who designed and built them...go figure...
      Last edited by tv5150; 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM.
      Current Rides:
      02 GL1800 Wing
      79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
      81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

[QUOTE=tv5150;373171]
        Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        I think it's kinda funny that the instructions say, "XS11 'Special'", but all the pictures are for a Standard.

Yeah, it's real funny(RAOTFLMAO), but if you look at the heading on the directions it states XS1100, Special...with the comma inserted, that means the instructions are for the Standard and the Special...Geez, I believe you'd argue with a sign even if YOU painted it....As far as the rubber isolator washers go, I guess Craig Vetter didn't know very much about doing this even though he's the one who designed and built them...go figure...
        No need to get testy! Geez! Knowing what I know about the differences between the Standards and the Specials, it does not make sense to lump them both together in instructions like this. What I was really trying to point out is that the headlight bucket on the Specials does not have to be removed like it does on the Standards. It keeps everything cleaner and neater in the headlight bucket. I have heard of a few people complaining that the vinyl bag provided in that kit for the wiring tends to hold moisture, and ends up causing corrosion issues. I have personally opened one up, and it had a nice puddle inside.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          The guages are mounted with rubber insulators, the tank is mounted with rubber insulators, the seat is mounted with rubber insulators, all the lighting is mounted with rubber insulators, the engine is mounted with rubber insulators, exhaust and shocks too.

Why would the fairing, bags, or trunk be any different?
          It's not........thats why my Venturer came with two strips of thin rubber that layed between the fairing and mount. Have replaced mine a couple times just cutting off a couple long strips off a 1" wide roll.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
            K Duwayne,not necessary.to send plug if you need it.I was just wondering if they made one or if you need to splice it.and if you can get one,where?As I really don't want to start butchering wiring harness as you can understand.By the way,It looks great on the bike,very happy with the look.I can't wait to get a ride in to see how it handles. oh,one more question,how do you protect the wiring up front seeings there's not a headlight bucket to protect the wiring?
            The pigtail I sent is the one I used for the fairing. It did not have the bladed plug like in the picture from the original kit someone posted here.

As far as the question about the rubber, I have done it like that with them between the fairng and the mount forever. Even back to when I had the XJ Midnight Maxim in '81. Never had a crack on the fairing and thank God all 4 holes didn't give way at once and kill me...YMMV

I'll drop you a box in the mail tomorrow with the trim and instructions and a little something extra.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

.........may even consider one of the stereo housings with stereo mounted even if it don't work. Acts as a gusset bolted to the two top windshield retaining studs. Have seen more than a few of these fairings with a split in the center down low behind windshield.......JAT...
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Duwayne,I was really confused about that plug,but then again,I confuse easy. I read somewhere that it's supposed to plug and play,thus,confusion. Can't even ride my bike,but it's been raining anyway.
                FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

hey Cat,not sure what you mean that you can leave the bucket on w/ a special? I couldn't. the directionals hold the bucket on and they were in the way.Didn't you have to take the bucket off Duwayne?
                  FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                    hey Cat,not sure what you mean that you can leave the bucket on w/ a special? I couldn't. the directionals hold the bucket on and they were in the way.Didn't you have to take the bucket off Duwayne?
                    The signals come off, but I replaced the threaded stems with regular bolts. The issue is really the clearance between the bucket and the fairing. The rectangular headlight bucket on the Standard is too big to clear the fairing, but the round Special headlight bucket (minus the headlight and chrome or gold ring) clears just fine.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

good to know,since i'm waiting on a few things,and I think tomm.is gonna be a rain day at work,I'm gonna put the bucket back on to keep the wires secure and neat.
                      FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                      1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Working...
                      X