US spec speed restriction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US spec speed restriction?

Is the US spec XS1100 restricted to 85mph as indicated on speedo ?

Some are, I'm not sure which models though. The '78 and '79 Standards I am pretty sure did not stop at 85 mph.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Nope

Bikes speed was not restricted just the speedo wouldnt register past thatmost cars of that era were also only registered to 85mph, God knows whos bright idea that was......MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Back in 73, there was a "gas shortage" and a lot of effort was suddenly put forth to improve gas mileage and develop less reliance on 'foreign oil.' Most of the initial efforts were towards making lower powered cars, running too lean. Some thought lowering the speed limits to 55 on US highways was also a step towards saving gas. The story goes that since cars would never go above 55, there was no sense having 120 MPH or higher speedometers. There was also some rumor about the US Gummint passing laws enforcing the lower speed limits with governors and would include 85 MPH speedometers. The story also goes that in anticipation of these laws being passed one of the big 3 placed an order with one of its suppliers for jillions of speedometers with 85 as the maximum. Not to be outdone, the other 2 followed suit. Fortunately none of these laws regarding the governors and 85 MPH speedometers actually passed, but orders had been entered, tooling and manufacturing processes had been changed, and speedos were being shipped. There were no real vocal outcries, a bazillion cars suddenly had 85 MPH speedos, so they stayed for a while. After all, the national speed limit was 55 MPH at the time. And the overwhelming thought at the time was that it was the law. But no actual law had ever been passed to mandate 85 MPH speedometers in cars, they just became habit.

Well, that is what I remember about it from the late 70's.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Don't worry about the 85mph speedometer. An XS redlined in 3rd gear should peg the needle. The remaining 2 gears are just for breaking it.
          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Joan Claybrook with the Jimmy Carter bunch is the one to thank for this stupid idea.
            1978 XS1100E
            1982 XJ650RJ Seca
            2001 Yamaha XT225
            2002 Suzuki DR650
            2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
            AMA charter life member

Comment

I know my 81 Tourer would go well over 85. Often thought about getting an older speedo with higher mph on it but never did.
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
              X