How to replace CCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace CCT

the rig has been making a loud hiss/high-pitched grind coming from the general area of the cam chain...it has recently become louder than the engine itself, very alarming, i quit riding it at this point obviously...the loudness increases with RPMs...most people i've spoken to are telling me that the CCT has broken somehow...i pulled the cover off the top, looked at the 2 cams and cam chain, didn't help me much. i tried to take off the CCT itself by loosening the allen screws on the front of engine, but a bunch of oil started pissing out and i decided to stop messing with it until i get better advice.

so i'm wondering, how would you diagnose this? could anything else be causing this noise from this part of the engine?

if the CCT is indeed the problem, what's the procedure for replacing it? can you just swap them out?

recommendations for what kind of new CCT to order?
    80 XS1100G

Hey there Silver,

Do a search for cct or cam chain tensioner and you'll find several threads. A new replacement option is using the newer designed self adjusting type that Yamaha cam up with for later machines, several models transplant to the XS11 fairly easily.

The cam chain tensioner pushes against guides inside the head. A hissing type sound doesn't sound like what a loose cam chain makes. You'll want to read the megathread by TRBig called "I Got Defeated" when you search for threads on the CCT, so you can learn how to be able to remove the CCT without having the chain drop down around the crank shaft sprocket and skip a tooth which can result in bent valves!! The oil you're seeing is just what was caught in the housing, it will not leave you with a pool of oil, just get a rag and mop up the little bit that dribbles out!

Read up on the CCT adjustment procedure and such.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X