My version of the carb float post repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My version of the carb float post repair

Well, I got my new floats in (all brand new for less than 20 bucks each). Carefully removed the pins (thanks to the tips here!) replaced three pins (good so far) then the fourth one - SNAP! Didn't realize until later reading that you don't have to force the pin in.

OK, I see that the best way to fix it is to make a new pin out of a small bolt and tap the post to put it in. However, I came up with a quicker, easier way that will HOPEFULLY hold up.

I do use JB weld, but that's more for insurance and to hold the broken part in place

1. Drill very small hole through post about half way down where it's a little thicker. You're drilling front to back in relation to the bike
    2. Carefully put the broken part of the post in a vise and use a Dremel tool to make a groove in the top of the broken post, again front to back in relation to the bike
    3. Put the broken post back on with JB weld and let set
    4. If necessary drill through the hole where the pin goes to get rid of any extra JB weld
    5. Put a piece of wire through the hole in the post and make a sharp bend around the post. Bring the other end up and over the notch in the top of the repaired post and down the other side back into the other side of the hole you drilled. Make sure all "slack" is out of the wire and cinch it tight around the post again.

I'm not sure if I described this well, but will try to get a pick posted for you.

By doing this the wire should mechanically hold the post down.

Your thoughts??
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

BTW, just found out from the JB Weld website they make a product call JB Stick which is completely impervious to gasoline and will even fully cure while submerged in gas! I'm going to get that to encapsulate the repair I just mentiond. Should be good after that.
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
      Well, I got my new floats in (all brand new for less than 20 bucks each). Carefully removed the pins (thanks to the tips here!) replaced three pins (good so far) then the fourth one - SNAP! Didn't realize until later reading that you don't have to force the pin in.

OK, I see that the best way to fix it is to make a new pin out of a small bolt and tap the post to put it in. However, I came up with a quicker, easier way that will HOPEFULLY hold up.

I do use JB weld, but that's more for insurance and to hold the broken part in place

1. Drill very small hole through post about half way down where it's a little thicker. You're drilling front to back in relation to the bike
      2. Carefully put the broken part of the post in a vise and use a Dremel tool to make a groove in the top of the broken post, again front to back in relation to the bike
      3. Put the broken post back on with JB weld and let set
      4. If necessary drill through the hole where the pin goes to get rid of any extra JB weld
      5. Put a piece of wire through the hole in the post and make a sharp bend around the post. Bring the other end up and over the notch in the top of the repaired post and down the other side back into the other side of the hole you drilled. Make sure all "slack" is out of the wire and cinch it tight around the post again.

I'm not sure if I described this well, but will try to get a pick posted for you.

By doing this the wire should mechanically hold the post down.

Your thoughts??
      After all that, might be a clearance issue for sides of bowls, as the pin heads will rub causing bowl seating issues as it is with them protruding. First thing U do with those pins is chuck'em up in your drill and file that raised portion near the head.......no more broken post in the future.........pin CANNOT come out anyways once bowl is on.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I used wire to fix a broken post on my old set of carbs and it lasted a couple years until I replaced them. Mine broke right at the hole the pin goes through and I just drilled a hole below it and ran a wire up over the pin to hold it in the bottom, or top, half of the hole.

It was a tight fit but it worked.

I had a pic of it but I think I deleated it because I can't find it.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          I used wire to fix a broken post on my old set of carbs and it lasted a couple years until I replaced them. Mine broke right at the hole the pin goes through and I just drilled a hole below it and ran a wire up over the pin to hold it in the bottom, or top, half of the hole.

It was a tight fit but it worked.

I had a pic of it but I think I deleated it because I can't find it.
          Exactly what I did and it works great! I am going to carefully encapsulate the fix with the gas proof JB weld just as an extra precaution though. Quick, easy fix IMHO!

BTW, point well taken about drilling out the pin holes so we can avoid this problem in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post

BTW, point well taken about drilling out the pin holes so we can avoid this problem in the future.
            Might wanna re-read my suggestion.............would NOT advise drillin' the holes out......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Oops - thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
              X