Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions

Two short (hopefully) questions.

1. I'm replacing grips on a KZ1000 Police Special and find that they had been glued on. Do you guys do that or is it overkill (maybe a Police thing).

2. I have a nicely running 1979 Special and a bunch of spare electrical parts (CTI boxes, etc.). Is there any risk at all of using the working bike to test the spare parts by just replacing the working part and seeing if the bike still runs.

Thanks,

Aches n Pains (Doug)
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

As to question 1, I just make sure that the bar is really clean, and spray a little WD-40 in the grip. Then swirl it around, dump any excess, and slide it on. Within minutes the WD-40 has evaporated and the grip is secure.

As to question 2, I will defer to the forum gurus on this one.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
    Airbox w/K&N element
    Jardine 4 into 1
    145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
    1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
    1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by EricHa View Post
      As to question 1, I just make sure that the bar is really clean, and spray a little WD-40 in the grip. Then swirl it around, dump any excess, and slide it on. Within minutes the WD-40 has evaporated and the grip is secure.
      Your kidding, right? Old MotoX trick is AquaNet or similar..........you'll be cuttin them off........
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Your kidding, right? Old MotoX trick is AquaNet or similar..........you'll be cuttin them off........
        The throttle grip maybe but you can probably bust the clutch side loose. Glue doesn't stick well to chrome.

You shouldn't have a problem testing parts between bikes unless something is REALLY FUBAR and shorts a bunch of stuff out.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I just cut em both off as I, myself, prefer the Kuryakin grips. I simply get rid of them and then install new.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            I just cut em both off as I, myself, prefer the Kuryakin grips. I simply get rid of them and then install new.
            Hi Rasputin,
            I got these grips I'm real fond of. They're on their 4th set of bars. (It took a while to find bars that really fit me)
            The rightside grip just stays on the twistgrip but the leftside grip has to come off and go on each time Mr. Fickle changes bars.
            I use WD40 to take the grip off the old bar and to put it on the new one.
            It needs to stay overnight before the grip is on solid.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X