Track times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track times

Allright guys. I've got a question. If I took my mostly stock (slightly modified exhaust) '78 standard out to the track, what should i XSpect to get a 1/4 mile in? Honest times for stock, not theoretical numbers. Thanks guys.
    Tony K.
    TonimusMaximus
    Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
    New 1978 XS11E Owner

According to the articles written about the XS11 on it's introduction in 78, the times were estimated to be in the high 11's. The articles are here in XS11.com. Just look at the yellow border to the left of the screen, click on articles and select the ones for the 78 model. That was probably with a pro rider, and new transmission. In the real world, I'll bet 12's are possible with a good running stock machine, and novice rider. Still fast enough to shut down one of my co workers 5 point slow Mustang. Repetedly...

Comment

You also have to take altitude as a consideration because at sea level your going to run alot faster than up here in the mile high but high 12s is close and every test you see done is always sea level.
      copy and paste
      http://www.imagestation.com/members/turbox79

Comment

I notice you're in Phoenix...If you want your best times, go now while it's cool. I moved here last summer and my bike is noticably slower when the temps are in the 100 degree range. Cooler air is denser and allows for more powerful combustion.
        Dan
        1980 XS11 Special

Comment

There was a thread on this a while back. I think we have a dragster among us. For the best times it was about slipping the clutch properly. Due to the driveshaft and everything else, the XS is not optimized for launching. If I recall, if you launch at 3500 RPM you will bog, if you launch at 4500 you will spin the tire.

If you get a chance at the track let us know!
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

A working brake system would be nice before I take her out to the track. And I need to fix her breathing problem. Exhaust outlet size at the moment is about 3 inches in diameter.
            Tony K.
            TonimusMaximus
            Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
            New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Firebird has a nice long shutdown area whith that high-speed sweeping left hander at the end ..... don't need no stinkin' brakes.

I rode out there almost daily when Firebird was being built (the lake was before my time). I race at Beeline a few times too (anyone remember Beeline?). Firebird and PIR is where I did 99% of my roadracing (I won't mention South Mountain). Raced Riverside twice before it became condos.

Ahhhh.... the memories
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey tony, I tried it once this last fall, but my 2nd gear slipped twice, so I didn't try it again. By summer I should be ready to go. I have to move 2nd gear, get kevlar friction plates for the clutch and bore it out yet before the 70 degree days come back. Seeing as I've done everything I can to it short of a turbo or NOS, I will hopefully drop into the low 11's here at 5000 feet. We'll see what I can do then.
                Matt
                1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

track times

Ive run my 82 xj11 at the track several times. To date the best time ive got is 13.12 at 102.something mph.Thats 1/4 mile time in south east wisconsin. Ive been tunning on this thing for two years now.only mods are 4-1 kerker and remove stock airbox. Jetting is all i was playing with.The bike has 42,000 miles
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

p.s.

I really wish i would have left stock air box on. That bike was blistering fast before i removed it. Seems like i never really got back the tourqe it had before.
                    1982 XJ 1100

Comment

"...was blistering fast..."

Can you get it back on? Curious, from what I understand all the theories say freeing up the intake, 4-1 free flow exhaust, and jets get you more top end, which I would think would show up in the 1/4 mile trials. Does that mean you lost some bottom / middle power?

By the way, 13.12 I think is very good. The original XS was around 11.9 with a pro and fresh engine. Where are you shifting? How do you launch? Which tire do you use? Are you keeping track of the results with the different jets?
                      Marty in NW PA
                      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

yes i lost a lot of lower end torque. As for shifting its by feel i power shift when the engine just starts to level out in a gear.Ive tried taking off at 3500 (like the guy said erlier) but a bad stumble.So i usualy take off like im at a traffic signal. Very slow at first,then hit it hard and go to work.I usualy cut a good light in the .05 or .06 range. Just a basic tire from the bike shop.I only keep track of my times at the strip each time i jet it gets better or worse so i know witch way to go. Hope this helps.
                        1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Chev, I'm picking your CV carbs aren't lifting the slides efficiently due to the missing airbox creating a lower vaccuum through the barrels.

Comment

Tominus, out of curiosity I did some 400 metre runs the other day. All very unofficial mind you. First up, on a deserted back road, I measured out 400 metres with the accurate digital speedo I use for a back-up. I spray painted a line on the road. The small digital speedo also has a stop-watch setting that starts up immediately the wheels move. I did a few blasts down my 'strip', and each time I flashed past the paint line I glanced at the dial. Nearly every run was in the 11 second bracket. Max speed was around the 170 k.p.h. mark. Getting a good take-off is crucial.

The motor is quite tricked up so the bike's possibly 1/2 to 1 sec quicker than standard? Anyway I'm picking 12 sec runs should be easy enough on a well tuned stock bike. 11 sec bracket if you're skinny and light. I'm 200 lbs stark naked (keep that horrible nasty sight out of mind) and with heavy leather jacket, boots, gloves, helmet etc.. I'm looking at way over 200lbs. Most bike-mag testers are probably half that. Throw in altitude, temperature and tailwinds, and there'll be all sorts of variations.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
                              There was a thread on this a while back. I think we have a dragster among us. For the best times it was about slipping the clutch properly. Due to the driveshaft and everything else, the XS is not optimized for launching. If I recall, if you launch at 3500 RPM you will bog, if you launch at 4500 you will spin the tire.

If you get a chance at the track let us know!
                              Tires and rider weight will affect the launch technique too. I only weigh in at 145lb, so it is like a gnat on a buffalo's back from the bike's perspective. I tried several methods when I was running a Bridgestone SF22 rear on my Special. The most effective launch with that setup was to start out slipping the clutch at about 3500rpm until the bike had rolled about two feet, release the clutch fully and snap the throttle open at the same time, shifting at about 6000rpm. It would leave a 20ft wavy black streak with the front wheel staying about a foot off the ground until I hit 3rd gear, and be gone quick enough to pick on the plastic crotch rockets stoplight to stoplight.
                              I just put a new set of Dunlops on last week, and that same method produced a near vertical wheelie with no wheelspin, and a serious panic attack before I finally got the front end to come down.

Comment

Working...
                              X