YICS emblem removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YICS emblem removal

Anybody ever removed and then reattached the YICS emblems on the XJ engine covers? I want to polish the covers and redo the emblems but don't want to break anything in the process.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Aren't they cast into the metal?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Nope, not cast into the covers.... Well, the cam cover but not the ignition/alternator covers...

I'm in the process of doing this. The emblems are stamped metal pieces and just glued on. Use a small screwdriver and carefully pry them off. I'm going to reattach mine with some automotive two-sided trim tape, you can get that from various places online or from your local body shop supplier.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Huh! I always thought they were cast into the covers, making it impossible to remove them. I guess if you install the YICS Eliminator, you could also eliminate the badges on the outside too!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          Huh! I always thought they were cast into the covers, making it impossible to remove them. I guess if you install the YICS Eliminator, you could also eliminate the badges on the outside too!
          That's what I'm in the process of doing, no YICS and no more YICS emblems!

Larry
          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
          82 XJ1100
          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

I was going to ditch mine too, but that leaves an indent where they were that looks funky. You might be able to smooth the cover enough to remove them, but you'd have take off quite a bit of metal....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Can't you swap the 81 covers?
              1970? Honda Z50... gone
              1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
              1974 Honda CB200... gone
              1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
              1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
              2008 Honda VTX 1800F
              1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
              1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

No, the YICS is on the XJ, and the covers don't interchange....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  Nope, not cast into the covers.... Well, the cam cover but not the ignition/alternator covers...

I'm in the process of doing this. The emblems are stamped metal pieces and just glued on. Use a small screwdriver and carefully pry them off. I'm going to reattach mine with some automotive two-sided trim tape, you can get that from various places online or from your local body shop supplier.
                  That'll work............till it melts from the heat.........JAT to consider..........
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The covers on my bike are missing the emblems and the rectangular indentation where they belong looks a little kooky. My parts bike has covers with emblems so my plan is to polish and then swap them. I do have the YICS Eliminator to be installed...I guess after that YICS will stand for "Yup, I Can Smoke ya"
                    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      That'll work............till it melts from the heat.........JAT to consider..........
                      That's what it appears they used to stick the things on with originally. Those covers don't get that hot....

And I'm using the good tape (3M), not the cheap no-name...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

That's what it appears they used to stick the things on with originally. Those covers don't get that hot....

And I'm using the good tape (3M), not the cheap no-name...
                        They DO get that hot.......but hey, may just turn into really good glue. A super thin film of Gorilla glue.....I say really thin so it don't pooch out all over.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          They DO get that hot.......but hey, may just turn into really good glue. A super thin film of Gorilla glue.....I say really thin so it don't pooch out all over.
                          I agree. Hot enough to burn the skin. I feel the heat through my boots when I have my feet on the highway pegs. It reminds me to slide them out a little further!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I was going to ditch mine too, but that leaves an indent where they were that looks funky. You might be able to smooth the cover enough to remove them, but you'd have take off quite a bit of metal....
                            I plan on filling it in with a piece of aluminum that I have cut to fit. Will probably use JB Weld to glue it in place.

Larry
                            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                            82 XJ1100
                            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Gawd! How some folks can fuss over trivia.
                              If a little empty indentation bothers you that much, take the covers to a bro with engraving machine who will cut something in those bare pockets.
                              You've already gone away from stock by eliminating the YICS so perhaps the Yamaha triple tuning fork or simply the initials XJ?
                              Last edited by fredintoon; 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X