A second neutral???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A second neutral???

So... some times when I shift from third going to fourth I feel it click so I let off the clutch and give it throttle and I have no acceleration. It’s like I have a second neutral. If I shift from third to fourth and hold the shifter up while I release the clutch I feel a second click and then it works just fine. Again this is my first bike so I don’t know but that just doesn’t seem normal to me. Any suggestions.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Firm shifts are needed especially if you are wearing work boots.
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

It does happen occasionally -- you have to shift these bikes with authority, and if you don't they can get "hung" between gears. If you put a little bit more anger () into your shift, does it work any better? How often is it happening? If it's just an occasional thing, you may just need to get used to the shifter.

When I shift, I preload the shifter by putting a little weight on it first before touching the clutch. Seems to help the notchiness.
      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
        If you put a little bit more anger () into your shift, does it work any better? How often is it happening? If it's just an occasional thing, you may just need to get used to the shifter.

When I shift, I preload the shifter by putting a little weight on it first before touching the clutch. Seems to help the notchiness.
        If i Hold the shifter up til after I release the clutch it works fine. I will try to just use a little more force since I do have to wear boots when I ride according to the Marine Corps. I just thought it was weired it was just in between third and fouth. It only happens maybe once on the 50 miles i ride a day.
        USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

If it only happens once a day and not every time you shift, then it is most likely a PEBSAS issue (Problem Exist Between Seat And Shifter)

It happens to the best of us on these bikes. As has been stated, you have to raise the shifter completely on every shift. Use to ride a Honda alot, you could almost breath hard on the lever and it would shift. Not so with an XS1100, you have to lift that lever like you mean it every time.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I guess I will go get a can of M.A.N. before I ride.

Thank you.
            USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

I have 2 of these bikes and the shift from 3rd to 4th is quite noticeable. It feels like you are shifting through a box of wrenches. I chuckle every time and say to my self....there's 4th!
              1970? Honda Z50... gone
              1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
              1974 Honda CB200... gone
              1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
              1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
              2008 Honda VTX 1800F
              1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
              1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmaddix View Post
                So... some times when I shift from third going to fourth I feel it click so I let off the clutch and give it throttle and I have no acceleration. It’s like I have a second neutral. If I shift from third to fourth and hold the shifter up while I release the clutch I feel a second click and then it works just fine. Again this is my first bike so I don’t know but that just doesn’t seem normal to me. Any suggestions.
                So U don't have to drain the oil, might lay bike on its right side and remove the shift cover and check the shift pawl alignment marks(while in second gear).
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

For a more positive shift, try removing the shift lever and moving it down one tooth position on the splines, works for me, YMMV.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You can get a false neutral between any of the gears if you don't be a bit aggressive as they are saying. I really like when it happens when I'm romping on it, speed-shift about redline, and hit one of those false neutrals. I just really enjoy watching the tach needle smack off the top of the tach past 10 grand....knowing I probably just rapped it to at least 12k momentarilly. Then I have the fun job of listening for strange engine noises all the way home, telling me I've done something horrible to the motor. Luckily, with as many imes as I've done that, I've not bent, broken, or blown anything up.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      You can get a false neutral between any of the gears if you don't be a bit aggressive as they are saying. I really like when it happens when I'm romping on it, speed-shift about redline, and hit one of those false neutrals. I just really enjoy watching the tach needle smack off the top of the tach past 10 grand....knowing I probably just rapped it to at least 12k momentarilly. Then I have the fun job of listening for strange engine noises all the way home, telling me I've done something horrible to the motor. Luckily, with as many imes as I've done that, I've not bent, broken, or blown anything up.
                      Yup, that's what hurt my first engine but I'm pretty sure it was badly abused in the maintanence department befor I got it.

I've buried the tach repeatedly that way on this engine with no problems so far. No doubt due to the use of Castrol 4T 20w50 engine oil.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

What makes it worse in my case I'd I don't even have a tach. I know I need to get one but I haven't heard or felt anything the times I have done it at higher RPMs.
                        USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

my transmission shifts way quiter than my xs750 but i have went from 3rd to 4th too quick once and hit that false neutral spot, but i think my tranny is really pretty quiet on this bike. It only has 12 thousand on it but i know they are supposed to clunk, mine is just not near as bad as the 750 and its not really that loud.
                          Jeff
                          77 XS750 2D completely stock
                          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by mmaddix View Post
                            I guess I will go get a can of M.A.N. before I ride.

Thank you.
                            If you're going to open a can of whoop-ass, you must chase it with a can of M.A.N.! OOOOh-Raw!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Happens to me every now and then... usually when lazily getting on the freeway. Like everyone says hit it with a little more mass... My biggest problem was being a rocket rider most my life I'm use to my toes pointing down. So I loosened the shifter and moved it down and notch or 2 so I didn't fee like I had to shift with my whole leg, its just a flick of the boot. YMMV but it helped me.
                              Don
                              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X