Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so you did drain the oil out?

Howell4706

Just how full was your tank when this problem occured? If it didnt show up all over the floor, you do have gas in the crankcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Howell4706 View Post
      crank case was not full of gas.

i'll be taking the carbs off tonight, anyone have any good youtube videos?

edit: i did watch the above video, it was pretty good just looking for some more. and do i need any special tools? besides micro sized hands
      Be careful, you might think there is no gas in the crank case but I would bet the farm it is filled right up, its the only explination for what you described. Trust us, we've been here done this and seen several new people come in with the same problem. I've personally had the same exact experience you described. Everything they said is correct about needing float needle valves and petcocks rebuilt. What happens is the crank case is so full that the gas/oil mix is being forced up the crank vent hose that goes to the air box and there is a set of U shaped tubes that blows the mix right into the bell mouth of the carbs. They will need a quick hose down at a minimum but, take this opportunity to do a quality disassembky/cleaning. The tech tips are a great resource for this...

Your priority should be fixing the petcocks, followed by float valves. A simple solution to the petcocks is adding an off position and using it when your not running the bike. Thats the route I chose, I also decided not to replace the float valves even thought they are a contributor to the problem. Remember to turn the gas off and no problems. Do change your oil before you attempt to run it again though. Good luck and welcome.
      Last edited by WMarshy; 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

so i'm guessing i pulled the wrong drain plug, there was gas on the floor of the garage but the above description of gas back through the oil vent hose is spot on.

i pulled the drain plug from the bottom of the bike, i guess that just drained the transmission oil? there was no gas in it.

good news is, i cut my hand really bad while preparing food for a catering gig. so i have not done anything else to the bike.

i'll do a search for crankcase drain plug.

thanks

Comment

i love the inter web

ken talbot on here had posted this in another thread

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244014

Comment

so i'm guessing i pulled the wrong drain plug, there was gas on the floor of the garage but the above description of gas back through the oil vent hose is spot on.

i pulled the drain plug from the bottom of the bike, i guess that just drained the transmission oil? there was no gas in it.

good news is, i cut my hand really bad while preparing food for a catering gig. so i have not done anything else to the bike.

i'll do a search for crankcase drain plug.

thanks
            Sounds like you drained you middle drive oil, make sure you replace it before you ride. Just remember there are 2 drain plugs under the engine, one for motor oil and one for the middle drive oil that holds 10 oz (IIRC). Your engine hold about 3.5 quarts (without gas). When I had this problem, I took about a gallon of oil/gas mix out of my engine. The oil window was completely blacked out from being overfilled... good luck and heal up from your cut.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

And make sure you pull the oil filter bowl and change the filter as well!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                Sounds like you drained you middle drive oil, make sure you replace it before you ride. Just remember there are 2 drain plugs under the engine, one for motor oil and one for the middle drive oil that holds 10 oz (IIRC). Your engine hold about 3.5 quarts (without gas). When I had this problem, I took about a gallon of oil/gas mix out of my engine. The oil window was completely blacked out from being overfilled... good luck and heal up from your cut.
                Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                And make sure you pull the oil filter bowl and change the filter as well!

alright i got all the gas/oil drained

the middle oil i think i can refill, but how do i fill the regular crank case oil?

Comment

On the right side almost straight above the foot peg on the top rear side of the clutch cover is a plug that unscrews. That is where you fill the crankcase.

On the left side behind the started about center of the starter is a small allen screw with a black plastic plug in the allen hole, that is where you fill the middle drive.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

alright i got all the gas/oil drained

the middle oil i think i can refill, but how do i fill the regular crank case oil?
                    To fill the engine oil (crank case oil) fill point is down by your right ankle (as sitting on the bike). It has a tab on the cap to twist off with your fingers. There is a window to check the level right under the right foot peg too.

The middle drive fill point is down by your left ankle and take an allen wrench to get off. Be careful take this off, they usually take a fair amount of effort and end of getting stripped if you or the previous owner isnt careful. Your best bet is with a allen socket driver and 3/8" ratchet. Whack the ratchet handle with a rubber dead blow hammer. Just make sure the allen is bottomed out, dont want that puppy to jump out. If that dont work or you are having trouble come back and ask, we will give you more pointers to get it off.

If I remember correctly, the middle drive take 10 oz of oil. There is a special dipstick to check the middle and final drive oil. Some has a PDF you can download and print out some paper ones. Just make sure you put the proper amount in before riding off.
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 05-22-2012, 06:22 PM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

# 20 in picture

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...VER/parts.html

Maybe you could look at alot of the parts list to get a better idea of the bike

Comment

thanks guys

i decided to put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and let it set until tomorrow.

figured i could pull the crankcase drain plug and see if i still have gas flowing through anywhere.

if not i should be back on the road thursday.

Comment

Add an off position on your petcock...

You might be interested in this...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=petcock+mod
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            i might try that, i pulled the drain plug last night, it is dry so looks like i'm ready to fill with oil and hit the road.

Comment

Just a little more advise

GET A MANUAL!
                              Amazon has tons of em
                              Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                              stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

forgot to tell everyone thanks

changed main oil and filter, and middle oil

Comment

Working...
                                X