Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcocks...and gas caps

Hi guys,

I am redoing my tank, now that the carbs are rebuilt. I pulled off both petcocks. My question about these is aside from one saying R and the other saying L on them are they identical? Can I get the same rebuild kits for these? I just don't want to waste money. I spoke to an operator on BikeBandit.com and he was arguing with me that only one had an open/off switch, and I told him I was holding them and they both had on/off switches. He told me I had the wrong ones. I said they are original off the tank, and he still told me I was wrong. So I come to the sages of these bikes since "professionals" have no clue. So apparently the guy who had this before me did not fix a hole in the tank only bondo'd over it and repainted it, haha. Paint is stripped and tank is at welders now. When I get it back getting wire brushed and brought to powdercoaters for a nice new coat or clear powdercoat.

Also how would you go about repainting the gas cap without filling the key slot with paint and primer?

Thanks a lot guys.
    Rich (Ringo)
    '79 XS11 Special
    '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

XJ1100 XS1100 SPECIAL PETCOCK KIT XS1100SF XS1100LH

That is what you need. With that kit you can rebuild both petcocks and the vacuum valve (spidervalve or octy). Instructions in the link below.

Rebuilding Yamaha Vacuum Operated Fuel Valves (Petcocks.)
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

cool, thanks Marty. Much appreciated.
      Rich (Ringo)
      '79 XS11 Special

Comment

For the gas cap, they will disassemble down to the cylinder part being removed. Could allow you to paint what you need. Now if your concerned with the little chrome circle left, you could put some small pieces of tape into the key slot, paint it and then remove the tape before the paint dries.

George is a great source for the petcock rebuild kist. I did a write up of using his kit HERE.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          George is a great source for the petcock rebuild kist. I did a write up of using his kit HERE.
          Don,

I had somehow missed your write-up. I just noted that it has one missing step, or did I miss it?

Once we have everything clean, let's begin the refurbishment by polishing the valve seat:
          I found this on another site, and failure to do it was the reason my rebuilds failed. I don't seem to be smart enough to figure these things out on my own.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

you guys are great will give that info a shot. I just ordered my kit so hopefully my petcocks will be good as new next week. I do not know if the petcock NEEDED to be rebuilt, but just want to make sure that all is well with the fuel system. Thanks again.
            Rich (Ringo)
            '79 XS11 Special

Comment

Marty,

My petcocks were not corroded to need that face polsihed, they were pretty clean. However, about the third comment down after ym write-up was from EGleaves and he mentioned that as well. It is never a bad idea to polish that face up really.

RJ, While you have the fuel system down and apart, those rebuild kits are to cheap and easy not to do it now. Taking it all back apart again later for lack of doing that work now would really suck!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Leave the key in the slot while repainting is done. Then simply remove the key and wire brush or wire wheel it back to the unpainted state. Simple, effective, and get rid of all the chrome color if that is the effect you are after.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by RJFort View Post
                  - - - so how would you go about repainting the gas cap without filling the key slot with paint and primer?
                  Hi Rich,
                  the gas filler cap in the top of the tank? Not a typo? Duh, mine is chromed.
                  OK, if you have to paint it, shove the key in it to keep the slot clean.
                  Mask the part of the key that sticks out.
                  Or, the lock can be taken out and left chrome.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for all your info, helpful as usual. There is really nothing wrong with the gas cap. The chrome is beautiful and perfect, if you like that sort of thing. There will be ZERO chrome on this bike. Maybe my next one. This will be a rat/cafe/tracker mixture. All flat black and brushed steel and aluminum. Not sure how you all feel about it but I have a pretty cool picture in my head. AND so you all know, I posted this in my earlier thread about my CHOP/BUILD, I am not hardtailing thi sanymore. Not a bobber build anymore after listening to all of you and doing some research of my own. Waiting for a different bike like CB750 or XS650 or something similar for that type of build. Thanks again for all your input.
                    Rich (Ringo)
                    '79 XS11 Special

Comment

The only thing I see wrong with going "no chrome" is that them shiney fork tubes just beg for something to compliment them. I have seen guys do Flat Black everywhere just to look cool but the fork tubes outsmart them every time. I just think myself that if one has to deal with the fork tubes being chromed then something must also match to it.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                        The only thing I see wrong with going "no chrome" is that them shiney fork tubes just beg for something to compliment them. I have seen guys do Flat Black everywhere just to look cool but the fork tubes outsmart them every time. I just think myself that if one has to deal with the fork tubes being chromed then something must also match to it.
                        The fork tubes could be covered with gaiters and if the original headlight ears are retained, they can be flat black too. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by RJFort View Post
                          Thanks for all your info, helpful as usual. There is really nothing wrong with the gas cap. The chrome is beautiful and perfect, if you like that sort of thing.
                          Now, if you were a real helpful fella, you would ask if anybody had a cap that was not "beautiful and perfect", that they would be willing to trade you for yours. They pay postage both ways, naturally.
                          Win -win. Your paint will stick better, and they can polish to their hearts content. The locks will change out, using a screwdriver. CZ

Comment

That is a good idea. I want to double check really how perfect it is. It looks pretty good though. I will try to take pics and see what people say. Thanks for the idea. I did not think of it.
                            Rich (Ringo)
                            '79 XS11 Special

Comment

So I ordered the Petcock rebuild kit from Georgefix on Wednesday May 9, sometime before noon. I am in CT and he is in Florida. Well I come home from work today, May 11 and it is sitting in my mailbox. Quite incredible. That in itself deserves a return visit to him if I need more parts, hahahaha IF.
                              Rich (Ringo)
                              '79 XS11 Special

Comment

Working...
                              X