Am I missing parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing parts?

I am glad to finally find people who enjoy and know about these bikes. Theres not many people around my area that know much about em. OK, so I am having a problem with the Rear Final Drive. I think I am missing a part. I bought the bike from a guy who messed with it and let it sit for 3 years, so I don't know what he's done, or what he's lost. As you can see, the Final Drive is rubbing against the bolts on the rear Dust Cover. I noticed in the pictorial thread they mentioned a "large O Ring" on the Final drive side...I don't have one, its just the seal which is flush. Is the O ring what I am missing? Where can I get one? Or some specs so I can have my machine shop at work make me one out of Aluminumnumnum. Thank you for all your help.

80 XS11 Bobbed
    82 Virago 750
    95 CBR 600

I don't think you have any missing parts, just the wrong bolts holding the dust cover on. It's hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like the dust cover may have been repaired with fiberglass (making the flange thicker) and the bolt head is sticking up way too far. Try replacing the bolts with pan-head or button-head screws, that will probably fix the problem.

The factory used phillips-head screws, and they were close too....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

It originally had the Panhead screws, and as you can tell by the groove in the final drive, it literally ground them down to where there was no head left. I had to make some repairs (the fiberglass) to fill the holes and cracks. I rough fitted the wheel and can still feel it rubbing on the inside. I would think there needs to be some type of spacer in there or something. I have no other parts other than the assembled Final Drive and the Assembled wheel....I just want to ride my bobber
      80 XS11 Bobbed
      82 Virago 750
      95 CBR 600

Comment

Like Steve said, it looks like all the parts are there. There isn't any spacer that goes in there. Do you have anything on the back side of the dust cover? If not it must be the fiberglass buildup.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think there is some kind of spacer in behind the dust cover. It's sitting WAY too far out on the hub.

Take the dust cover off. It should be bolted right to the wheel with 3-5 phillips screws with nothing in between it and the wheel.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There is nothing on the backside of the dustcover. I got it all together, and went to see if it still did it. Now when I go to Torque it, I get to 35 ft lbs and the wheel wont even spin....I don't get it. I love the ride of the Shaft drive...but damn Chains are a lot easier to work on.
            80 XS11 Bobbed
            82 Virago 750
            95 CBR 600

Comment

Here is a pic of the dust cover sitting where it should when installed. I put the T ruler there to show that the cover sits well back from the bolt heads that secure the cushion drive. Ther is PLENTY of room for some little screw heads.

I'm thinking that maybe that wheel isn't for an XS11. May have swapped one from another bike for some reason.
              Last edited by BA80; 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

hmm. But do most rims have the tapped holes in the rim for the Dustshield? Mine had the holes, but looking at my pic, my Dustshield sticks out wayyyy too far. and there isnt that much fiberglass or epoxy on it
                80 XS11 Bobbed
                82 Virago 750
                95 CBR 600

Comment

The way the cushion drive is attached doesn't even look the same. Look at the bolts.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Right, thats what I started doing, so I just ran outside and disassembled it.....again I see now, its DEFINITELY not the right rim....hense why I just posted in the "Willing to buy" section of the forums
                    80 XS11 Bobbed
                    82 Virago 750
                    95 CBR 600

Comment

Check your email.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Give us some pics of the rim. I know I want to see it!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                        X