Exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust questions

Hey so I picked up a really beat up xs1100 and I am wanting to try something that i have never heard of before. Since the 1st and 4th cylinders fire at the same time and the 2nd and the 3rd do the same. Would it be possible to make and exhaust that sounds kinda like a v twin. I'm Probably going to get burned for the idea but i think it would be cool to have the only inline 4 that sounds like that.

Originally posted by ManCaveDweller View Post
    Hey so I picked up a really beat up xs1100 and I am wanting to try something that i have never heard of before. Since the 1st and 4th cylinders fire at the same time and the 2nd and the 3rd do the same. Would it be possible to make and exhaust that sounds kinda like a v twin. I'm Probably going to get burned for the idea but i think it would be cool to have the only inline 4 that sounds like that.
    Hi Ken and welcome,
    alas for the concept, they don't fire together. #1 & #4 fire at 360º to each other. So do #2 & #3 but at 180º behind #1 & #4.
    This gives a steady 1, 3, 4, 2 beat that repeats every 2 engine revolutions.
    The only way I can see to get your desired potato-potato sound is to completely muffle the straight 4 noise and hook up a sound system to broadcast a recording of a Harley exhaust note.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome Ken. Maybe run a 4 into 2, and heavily baffle #1 and #2, while leaving #3 and #4 wide open..........Now that would be a tuning thread!

Or run drag pipes and only baffle 2 and 3, or 1 and 4........
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
      Airbox w/K&N element
      Jardine 4 into 1
      145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
      1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
      1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Or u could get a very interesting subaru/old vw-esque sound by making 2&3 have real short primaries, while 1&4 have real long tubes, and then collect together into a single pipe tip...? Just thinking aloud...
        BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
        80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Working...
        X