vacuum lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum lines

Does anyone know which carb insulator the vacuum advance line goes on? I think it is the 2nd cylinder on the LHS but I'm not sure (see picture 1 and 2). Also what is the purpose of the small hose connection on the crankcase (picture 3)? I think it is the vacuum line to power the fuel pump but I'm not 100% certain.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSCN3100.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSCN3101.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSCN3102.jpg

That's not a fuel pump it's a fuel valve, commonly known as the octy because of it's resemblance to an octopus. The vacuum line for it goes to the intake boot on the #2 cylinder. The vacuum line coming out of the left engine cover is for the vacuum advance unit and it goes to the nipple on the front of the #2 carburetor.

That last photo is of the crank case vent and it hooks to the top front center of the airbox.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Pix 3 the larger one in the pix is crankcase breather that goes to the air box. The smaller one pointed rear on mine has a short piece of hose open ended if you still have an air box on the bike It should have a breather tube that connects from that point to the air box I have been lookning all day for a hose that matches it at the auto parts store The hose is a very thin wall If your air box is gone I think you can just run a short piece off the connection
      Last edited by Eastcoaster; 05-06-2012, 07:03 PM.
      82 XJ1100J
      81 Venturer
      Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

If you don't have an airbox you need to go to the auto parts stor and find an oil breather filter to hook up there somehow. That'll keep dirt and water from entering the crankcase.

Look in the shiney chrome accessories department.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg
          Where should the small one in pix 3 in front of the crankcase breather it go? Mine just dump down under the bike Is that right?
          82 XJ1100J
          81 Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
            Greg
            Where should the small one in pix 3 in front of the crankcase breather it go? Mine just dump down under the bike Is that right?
            It connects to a bracket above the airbox and is open to the atmosphere.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, what Nate said. That's the vent for the middle drive and the hose should run up behind the airbox and vent under the seat near the air intake.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Ok thanks another correction I will make
                82 XJ1100J
                81 Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by 1980cm400t View Post
                  Does anyone know which carb insulator the vacuum advance line goes on? I think it is the 2nd cylinder on the LHS but I'm not sure (see picture 1 and 2). Also what is the purpose of the small hose connection on the crankcase (picture 3)? I think it is the vacuum line to power the fuel pump but I'm not 100% certain.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSCN3100.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSCN3101.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSCN3102.jpg
                  The vacuum advance line goes to the nipple on the no 2 Carb body, not the one on the intake boot. It advances the bikes timing based upon the maount of vacuum at the carb outlet. The XS1100 does not have a fuel pump. Fuel is gravity fed from the tank to the carbs.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I knew that the large hose barb in pic 3 was the crankcase breather i didn't know about the middle drive breather (when i got the bike it had a broken hose there) i'll have to find a way to get a filter on it to keep the dirt out. Thanks for the tip on the vacuum advance. The old insulators had a cover missing on the #2 cylinder I didn't remember if it powered the octy or the vacuum advance. By the way because the octy sees oscillating vacuum pressure it will act as a diaphragm pump as well as a fuel valve. I plan on swapping out the octy for gravity feed petcocks.

Comment

To 'convert' your existing Special petcocks to manual, look here...
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35443
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by 1980cm400t View Post
                        By the way because the octy sees oscillating vacuum pressure it will act as a diaphragm pump as well as a fuel valve.
                        Try holding it above the feel level in the tank and let me know who it goes for you.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My existing petcocks are pretty trashed i'm going to get a new set of non vacuum petcocks from mike's XS I heard that they fit even though they are designed for 650s

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-34.html#products

Comment

What are you working on? there's nothing in your signature.

First your talking about an octy then vacuum petcocks. The octy is on a special and vacuum petcocks are on a standard.

You've got both?
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg is right, you are mixing things here and before you go throwing money at things give us the whole story and let us help.

The 650 taps only work on the standard tank and are only a left side tap. Works for the right side too but the positions will be opposite.

If you have a special tank/taps then you already have manual taps, just ditch the octy.

The petcocks do not swap from one model to the other either. Fill us in and go from there.
                              Last edited by natemoen; 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X