Parts help with weird BS34s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts help with weird BS34s

I'm working on a buddies new bike trying to get it running. It is an XS1100F. The carbs on it look like they are the later model 1980-1981 BS34s.
    Facts:
    *There are no float bowl vent lines.
    *The needle valve seat is push in rather than threaded.
    *There is a rubber plug on the end of the the air screw tower.
    *The needle valves have a little wire clip on them that attaches to the float.
    * The idle mixture screws are the later model anti-tamper screws inset into the carb body.

I would like to know exactly what carbs there are. Also, can you guys tell me if these are the right parts?

It looks like either of these will work
    http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-1408.html
    http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-1445.html

Wil this jet needle work? All of them have been screwed up by the PO.
    http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-0663.html
    It looks out of stock. I have had no luck locating alternative sources.

Lastly,
    http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-5011.html
    Will this mixture screw work? The ones in there have been throughly mashed up.

Thanks guys.
    ---------------
    XS1100SF daily rider
    XS1100F (parts/project bike)

Ahhhh........how about a few different angled pics of the carbs so we can try and help you identify them for sure?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't take pictures at the moment. This bike sat in my garage way to long without progress so I sent it back to my friends house. Now he's ready to get it running. Anyways, I have a pretty good memory of the layout of the carbs. I've taken apart the stock carbs from my SF a bunch of times and have noted the differences. If it helps:

* the choke mechanism is different than the 78-79 carbs.
      * there arent plates between each diaphragm cover. Instead there is an extra bracket along the frontside (i think?) of the carb brank.
      ---------------
      XS1100SF daily rider

Comment

The late XS carbs 80-81 and XJ carbs are pretty close but the XJ used a cable controlled choke and is set up different.

Suzuki GS1100 carbs are very similar but also use the cable controlled choke and the spacing betwen the 2 center carbs is wider. Also on the Suzuki carbs the vacuum advance nipple on #2 carb sticks straight up rather than coming out at an angle like the XS XJ carbs.

Anything sound familiar?

The SF carbs are different from both.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The choke is still lever actuated, the lever is just shaped differently than the lever on my SF carbs. I'm 90% sure they are the late model ones 80-81 carbs, I'm just looking for some verification and making sure that I end up getting the right parts to rebuild this thing. I will be a happy guy when I have a riding buddy with XS11.
          ---------------
          XS1100SF daily rider

Comment

If they are the late XS carbs those parts will work. I would check the numbers on the slide needles and make sure they match the 5IX11s shown.

The links I posted are good sources also but like I said, be sure the parts you order say "genuine Mikuni"
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Oops sorry

I posted those links in THIS THREAD
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Do you recall if there is a crossover between the emulsion tube, main jet tower and the idle pilot jet tower? Those sound like the "bastard" 80 carbs that look just like the newer style in every way, except they have that crossover and therefore the rubber plug over the idle pilot jet tower.

Some people get confused and I have seen those plugs installed when there was no crossover. That will screw up the entire idle pilot circuit.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Carb identifier guide..... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35964
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

OK, after reviewing the carb identifier guide again, I think i have come to the conclusion that they are the 80-82 carbs. If this is the case, are the links to parts that i posted earlier correct?

My main concern right now is replacing the needle vavles and seats plus rebuilding petcocks and also replacing the mixture screws.

Here are the parts again:
                    * leaky petcocks (ordering a rebuild from mikesxs) http://www.mikesxs.net/product/20-0101.html 2 of these
                    * http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-1408.html 4 of these because we ended up with a crankcase full of gasoline+oil due to petcocks leaking for long enough that the needle vavle are leaking too.

* http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-0663.html these are out of stock but eventually my bud wants to replace them with genuine mikuni parts since the PO inexplicably bent the s**t out of them.

* http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-5011.html
                    With typical PO gusto, these were screwed in so far that they now resemble a brass finishing nail attached to a gnarled screw head. Because of this and the above issues, I can't even begin to get this thing idling correctly.

Literally, this bike is ready to go after these stupid carb issues are corrected. A compression test yielded some of the best results i've ever seen on an XS11 and I would really like to see this thing move.
                    ---------------
                    XS1100SF daily rider

Comment

I am not certain on the MikesXS parts fitting or not. Look at the bowl drains, see if they are the 80 or 81 style. It makes a difference in the internal components. Once you know if they are 80 or 81, get ahold of Georgefix on ebay. Tell him what you have and he will set you up with four complete carb kits, for less than buying the individual components you have shown. For the 80 model year he includes the needle jets IIRC. 81 kits do not include the needles.

For the petcocks, I believe the XS650 petcocks are different than the XS11. But not certain. Georgefix can also set you up with petcock rebuild kits, cheaper than MikesXS ones.

No, I do not have stock in Georgefix's store, or get any kickbacks. I have used his services plenty over the years and he has treated me fairly and given me good parts with good service. So I like to pass along a place you can get those things.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        For the petcocks, I believe the XS650 petcocks are different than the XS11. But not certain. Georgefix can also set you up with petcock rebuild kits, cheaper than MikesXS ones.
                        I believe XS650 petcocks are similar enough to XS1100 standard that they use the same rebuild kit.

Best bet is here:
                        http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/StoreFront
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Go with Georgefix; the jet needles and idle screws at Mikes are not the right ones for the late XS11 carbs in any case....
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                            That is about as good as it can be Steve!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                            X