float level tube test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    honestly, I have set up a number of 81 carbs and never used the fuel tube method. I put them at 23 +/- .5 mm (the spec for the 80-81 carbs), and button it up. IMO, you can spend the hour or two to meticulously set all the float levels exactly even using this tube method, then go to the end of the driveway and lean the biek to turn onto the road and you just threw all that evening out stuff right out the window. Every curve and start/stop speed up, slow down, moves the fuel around in that bowl.

being an engineer, I tend to be anal retentive about things like this, but experience has taught me that these carbs will run just fine with the settings I use.
    Being an engineer, ever considered that the spring loaded float needle helps to keep fuel levels more consistant?...........BTW, a 23mm setting will get ya close to the reccomended 3mm+-.5. Actually, the factory reccomended setting for the 81 and later carbs IS actual fuel levels while bike is idleing on the centerstand, which doesn't have bike level so shims are needed under one side of stand or other. Also, don't forget the the fore and aft being level too. A 2X4 under front tire will resolve this and will be equal to bike setting on both tires, level at the carbs. Makes a huge difference being level, both directions........BTDT....too.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I only had my bike level side to side, thats all ive ever heard of. I dont have a centerstand but i didnt know they had to be level front to back. It really dont seem like it would as long as the levels are the same cause the gas cant go anywhere like into another carb like side to side.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
        I only had my bike level side to side, thats all ive ever heard of. I dont have a centerstand but i didnt know they had to be level front to back. It really dont seem like it would as long as the levels are the same cause the gas cant go anywhere like into another carb like side to side.
        Hose held up to front side part of carb WILL be an 1/8" higher than fuel is at rear portion of carb. Hold a small level up against the bottom outside lip of carb body to level from front to rear. The Special with the 16in. rear tire allows the bike to rock back a bit more than the Standard with the 17in. wheel. The 2X4 block under front wheel of my Venturer is equal to the distance rear wheel is off the ground when on centerstand. If not level both directions, the ACTUAL fuel level down from carb body won't be an accurate fuel level. If one is only interested in getting fuel levels the same in all carbs and doesn't care where that actual level is, then your correct.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
        X