electrical problems???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical problems???

I was riding the xj today and my tach stopped working all the words on the dash warning system are on and the turnsiginals won't flash. She still runs and starts the same and all my connectors look clean and dry. Ii will take the tank all the way off later and do some more looking. I'm wonder if anyone has seen this before or may know where to start looking.
    1982 xj 1100
    "The Ape"
    http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Check and make sure the alternator is charginging. I'm not real certain about the XJ but an XS gets the tach signal from the alternator pulses and if it quits charging the tach quits working.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm guessing its under the right side cover. What would be the easiest way to check it? I have a fluke multimeter. I checked the battery voltage it was a little low. I didnt think to check it with it running.
      1982 xj 1100
      "The Ape"

Comment

On the XJ, the plug between the alternator and the rest of the harness is under the seat above the cover. If the plug looks 'melted', you should replace it....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I know close to nothing about this charging system. What cover are you talking about? The cover that black under the carbs? I thought its
          charging system was under the right side engine cover.
          1982 xj 1100
          "The Ape"

Comment

Yes, the charging system is under the right side engine cover. But the first electrical plug coming from the alternator is under the seat. This is the same plug as on the XS, and these are famous for going bad. There's actually two plugs, this one (with three white wires in/out) being the output. The other plug will have a brown and green wire, this is the excitation current to the rotor.

You'll have similar plugs at the regulator (check those too), but if the tach has failed it's the 'first' plug that's usually the culprit.

Check/clean the grounds at the regulator also...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Look here.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35339

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

The 3 white wires in my case are red. I am getting no reading from any if the 3. I get .8 ohms if resistance across those 3 wires. Is my alt bad?
                1982 xj 1100
                "The Ape"

Comment

Another thing to check is the brushes in the alternater. They are under the right side engine cover. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by XJfan1 View Post
                    The 3 white wires in my case are red. I am getting no reading from any if the 3. I get .8 ohms if resistance across those 3 wires. Is my alt bad?
                    Have you checked voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have no voltage coming from the alt with it running. I did see the two brushes one was alot shorter than the other
                      could that be the problem.
                      1982 xj 1100
                      "The Ape"

Comment

More than likely.......
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Let me guess yamaha dont sell those brushes any more
                          1982 xj 1100
                          "The Ape"

Comment

Some of the XJ people will have to chime in here. I know they can be replaced but where to get the stuff I don't know.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Part numbers for the XJ alternator brushes show as:

46X-81611-10-00

4G0-81612-10-00

A quick google search of either of these numbers show them as available from several sources.
                              Last edited by Rasputin; 05-05-2012, 07:43 PM. Reason: fat fingers
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X