highway pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highway pegs

so iv'e read a few threads on highway pegs, but i can't find what i'm lookin for. I need to find an option that will extend my feet about 8 inches further forward than my crash bars. I've heard clamp on peg extensions will just rotate in so is there a good option for highway pegs that sit further out????
    1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

If there are problems with pegs rotating most will just put a screw/bolt through the mount and then it can't rotate.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

8" futher forward??!! You must be 7 feet tall! Remember that you want to be able to keep your knees bent while your feet ar on the pegs, then if you straighten your knees, you should be able to lay the backs of your boots on top of the pegs.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Hey Josh,

I've got a set of those clamp on cruise pegs that were on my engine guards, and they didn't rotate, I would put my whole weight on/against them just fine. But later I made some forward controls and put some floorboards out there close to the same position as the frame rails. I'm 6'6" tall, with 36-38" inseam, and that position is just right, I can lay my legs straight out flat and rest my calves on the boards if I want to.

I remember seeing some generic single bar with cruise pegs on the ends that could be clamped to the frame rails inside the headers curve, but haven't looked for that style in a long time?

The clamp on kind were hinged so they would fold up for narrow areas as well as an accidental drop!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

+1 to TC's setup. If you are freakishly tall, it is a pretty awesome way to go. If he has a write up somewhere on how he built it, you should check it out. Of course, if you are just average height, like myself, and want to feel really short, sit on TC's bike, and try to reach the controls
          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Justin... your short legs wouldn't be able to reach that far forward. I have a set of clamp on pegs on my crash bars I wish they were a little further forward. My worry about having them further forward would be the lag time to get your feet back down to the lower controls in OH S^&t moments... So I've just kept em as is.
            Don
            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

K so I bought bought a set of clamp on pegs that mount to my crash bars. Granted they are more comfortable than factory pegs AND my original estimate of an 8 inch extension is too long, but I do wish my pegs were a little further out front.

Also, anybody that's checking out the other threads might notice that as of this moment my bike is non-rideable but knowledge is never a waste of time.

I looked at a few "offset peg mounts" at the parts store but I think $80 for a set of brackets is ridiculous, that doesn't even include the pegs... I'm thinkin more along the lines of building a "mustache bar". I'm an electrician so bending offsets in pipes is nothing new to me.

Has anybody put this style of highway pegs on their bike and if so, does anyone have pics?????
              1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Comment

I have a pair for sale on this site. This is a picture of the CL ad that I responded to but the pegs were in the parts box when I bought it.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36521

1970? Honda Z50... gone
                1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                1974 Honda CB200... gone
                1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Any other home made ideas or places to purchase a good set. Myself I'm 6'6" and the highway pegs are wayyy too shirt and not useable a good 5 to 6" extensions would really help when on the highway
                  79 F

Comment

Working...
                  X