Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak

Hey guys,

The bike has always had a small oil leak, few drops every now and then. Recently though it started forming a small puddle within a minute or two of idling. It drips off of the top of the oil filter mount. Could it be the large o-ring gasket for the filter or is there something above it to check out? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    '80 Standard

Only thing is the o-ring for the filter bowl unless it is dripping from your cam chain tensioner... (or drain bolt)

How long ago did you change your oil..? Did you use the o-ring that cam with the filter? I reuse the same o-ring because I think the ones that come with the filter are a little undersized and they seem to swell a little after some time.

You can add some more torque to the filter bowl bolt but dont strip it.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I would look at the cam chain tensioner. Most likely to be the source.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post

You can add some more torque to the filter bowl bolt but dont strip it.
        Not a good option..........o-ring does the sealing of the filter can. Tightening more will do nothing more than distort the filter can/housing and possibly leaving you to ask HERE how to remove a rounded-off filter housing bolt....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Not a good option..........o-ring does the sealing of the filter can. Tightening more will do nothing more than distort the filter can/housing and possibly leaving you to ask HERE how to remove a rounded-off filter housing bolt....
          Moderationis the key... No reason you should round the bolt unless you are using the wrong tool. You're more likely to strip the threads than anything. I've experienced some leaking after replacing the o-ring that comes with the filter. Thats why I asked if he replaced it b/c they seem a litle undersized... and, oil will leak from my filter bowl o-ring if I use the books torque spec. I just go a little over...

If it was the cam tensioner I would think it would be blowing back throught he fins and making a mess under the carbs too...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Torque

Have a look at the front of your motor and run your finger along the seams to check for oil. It could be time to recheck the torque on your head bolts. Oil dripping from the filter housing can come from the upper parts of the motor as it is the lowest point. And as always check the CCT for leaks first.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
            X