Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS11 collector heat shield to fit XJ1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 collector heat shield to fit XJ1100?

The original right side collector heat shield on the XJ1100 exhaust I obtained did not have a heat shield. The part is OEM# 10M-14728-00-00 ( or item #14 ) as seen on this page.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...UST/parts.html

Apparently it's a one off for the XJ11 and doesn't cross reference for any other bike. I'm hoping there's a XS11 heat shield that has a very similar shape that I can adapt to fit in its place. On the exhaust I have, the front screw hole is intact but the rear one looks buggered up but I can make it work. Perhaps if I find a shield that matches the over-all dimensions and then drill holes in it to match up to the XJ11, it'll be just fine. I just don't know which shield comes close but no Cigar.

Idears?

Thanks
    Last edited by KA1J; 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
    Perhaps if I find a shield that matches the over-all dimensions and then drill holes in it to match up to the XJ11, it'll be just fine. I just don't know which shield comes close but no Cigar.

Idears?

Thanks
    They're just metric nuts spot welded. If locating holes aren't same on XS shields, just locate and spot weld new nuts on pipe rather than punch additional holes in shield.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It'll have to be off a Special exhaust, the standard heat shields are welded on...

The Special exhaust is similarly shaped, I'll bet it would be a fairly close fit.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks! I'll put out a post for that now.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
          The original right side collector heat shield on the XJ1100 exhaust I obtained did not have a heat shield. The part is OEM# 10M-14728-00-00 ( or item #14 ) as seen on this page.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...UST/parts.html

Apparently it's a one off for the XJ11 and doesn't cross reference for any other bike. I'm hoping there's a XS11 heat shield that has a very similar shape that I can adapt to fit in its place. On the exhaust I have, the front screw hole is intact but the rear one looks buggered up but I can make it work. Perhaps if I find a shield that matches the over-all dimensions and then drill holes in it to match up to the XJ11, it'll be just fine. I just don't know which shield comes close but no Cigar.

Idears?

Thanks
          I have an XJ and need a nice rt side shield. Mine are ugly. OM me as I'd like to buy it
          THanks
          John
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            It'll have to be off a Special exhaust, the standard heat shields are welded on...
            Not necessarily true Steve.....Venturer and Special same, same......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

A heads up; I checked today and the mounting bolts are in exactly the same place on the Special/XJ exhausts. The difference is the Special 'wraps' more (to under the collector) and has a third bolt, and the XJ shield is cut away partially to clear the muffler clamp. Do some careful trimming on the Special piece and it should be invisible...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Now how can I adapt those to a standard exhaust?
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  A heads up; I checked today and the mounting bolts are in exactly the same place on the Special/XJ exhausts. The difference is the Special 'wraps' more (to under the collector) and has a third bolt, and the XJ shield is cut away partially to clear the muffler clamp. Do some careful trimming on the Special piece and it should be invisible...
                  Thanks Steve,

I just bought one from a special from another lister & will have at it when it gets here.

Comment

Working...
                  X