Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stuppid me caught my new 78 E on fire!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuppid me caught my new 78 E on fire!!!

Hi guys
    well I bought a 78 1100 E last weekend spent 5 days repairing the wirering harnes, got the carbs untuck and working , put some gas in the tank and rolled it over, had spark and all that, used a little carb cleaner , it fired right up ,

I didnt notice the float had stuck on #4 carb hit the button again and pop it back fired , stared the gas on fire , burned every wire on the bike, all the relays ,every thing , the gas tank blew up that is one tank never to be used again !!!

now I guess I am going to strip it all down and start from scratch . any body got a tank from a 78 E ????

HELL! Good job you didn't lose the entire bike. Or worse......

Got any pix???
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      HELL! Got any pix???
      Yea, yea! Let's see the train wreck! I saw a video on YouTube of a guy synching his old Goldwing and lighting the whole thing up!
      Honestly, I'm glad no one got burned. I got tangled up in a gasoline fire in '80 and spent 2 weeks in the hospital. For the next year the smell of gas got me real anxious and nervous. They couldn't clean me up for a day so I got to equate the smell of gas with extreme pain.
      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fasttrucker View Post
        Hi guys
        well I bought a 78 1100 E last weekend spent 5 days repairing the wirering harnes, got the carbs untuck and working , put some gas in the tank and rolled it over, had spark and all that, used a little carb cleaner , it fired right up ,

I didnt notice the float had stuck on #4 carb hit the button again and pop it back fired , stared the gas on fire , burned every wire on the bike, all the relays ,every thing , the gas tank blew up that is one tank never to be used again !!!

now I guess I am going to strip it all down and start from scratch . any body got a tank from a 78 E ????
        I had a similar incident with less damage trying to start a Suzuki 4 wheeler with ether. It was accumulating in the aircleaner (big pain to remove so I didn't) and it backfired and set the airbox on fire.
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

I posted here about a XS1100 I fired up. It had a rusted open intake valve, having sat for 10 years unused. I used ether-based Easy-Start and it did the same thing.....blew back and ignited the fuel in the carb. Then the airbox caught fire almost immediately. Fortunately, I was able to put the fire out!
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Fellow XSIVE Varnae (has a couple seats for sale right now) had two XS11s sitting on his covered front porch. He was working on one, wound up with a similar issue. He lost both bikes, and his house! So, be very careful, very glad to hear no one got hurt and only the bike suffered.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I did the same thing. (JB Weld failure on #4 carb post) My daughter saved my bike by being fast with a fire bottle. It still required a lot of replacement parts.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

thanks guys !!

Hay thanks for the support !! I bought the bike for the motor to put in my 79 special that I made into a bagger , so I am not real tore up about it , I am going to rewire and powder coat , the frame , and turn it into a cafe race , but i am going keep it so I can convert it back to a factory bike with out much trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X