First real ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First real ride

So, i got my 1100 special legal today and took it for its first ride in a few years. The tach doesnt work and the speedo is a little slow to get to speed but is right when it gets there (i think). I love this bike, plenty of power. It still seems to not run right in lower rpms but it seems to be getting better the more i ride it. Now i guess i need to figure the electric tach out. Anyway, i love this bike, it makes my xs750 seem very slow. I wish it had another gear though.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

I just went for another ride and got the nuts to open it up in 3rd and it seems to miss a little up at the top of the rpms too. I dont know how many rpms cause the tack dont work. Could this be because it hasnt been synched? I just eyeball bench synched it. It still runs very good though, good enough for me to ride everyday now. I'll say it again, i love bike.
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
      Could this be because it hasnt been synched?
      Very definitely! Sync that thing, and you'll be grinning from ear to ear!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks bug, I need to try and find someone around here that knows how to do it, or buy the synch tool myself. By the way, i love your website!
        Jeff

Comment

If the tach is not functional there is a good chance that it isn't charging. I would clean the connections in the wire clip behind the fuse panel.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Cheers mate!

Give the carbs a good cleaning and then get them synced!

Also check Float needle seal and give the jets/emulsion tubes a good soaking in carb cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
              If the tach is not functional there is a good chance that it isn't charging. I would clean the connections in the wire clip behind the fuse panel.
              I'm pretty sure its charging because the lights get brighter when reving like it is supposed to. I am still going to clean all the connections and try to get this thing working.
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                So, i got my 1100 special legal today and took it for its first ride in a few years. The tach doesnt work and the speedo is a little slow to get to speed but is right when it gets there (i think). I love this bike, plenty of power. It still seems to not run right in lower rpms but it seems to be getting better the more i ride it. Now i guess i need to figure the electric tach out. Anyway, i love this bike, it makes my xs750 seem very slow. I wish it had another gear though.
                As the saying goes, there's an APP for that, specifically, you actually have the fix for it right in your garage....your 750. Take a look at the forums in the mods, the 750 final drive conversion, you may decide to do the conversion, but you can always go back to OEM if you don't like it. Not sure if you're in the mountainous portion of W. Va.....or is it all mountainous? Folks have commented on how tall the first gear feels after the mod, and so you might like the lower gearing of the OEM for the twisties and such!?

A miss could be a number of things, carbs, pick up coil wires, corroded spark plug wires/caps, etc.!! Get it running strong and right, and then you can better gauge whether you'll want that extra gear or not. These engines like to run and can handle 5-7 k rpm all day long, but you'll need your tach working to be able to tell where you are in the power band!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey topcat, Wv is pretty much all mountains. I will check into that 750 final drive, maybe i could switch them. I never even thought of the plug wire cause they are taped up. I need a new set for sure! Also, I think it needs synched, i just eyeball benched them halving the whole like i did on my 750, wich has never been synched yet but really needs it. I really need to get me a synch set.
                  Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X