sych tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sych tools

hey all! so ive been lookin at synch tools, guages vs motion pro and am undecided. both come with 5mm adapters. im sure everyone has pros/cons, but im in need of opinions so i can make a decision. the stick looks easier to use. are the xs11's ports 5mm or 6mm and do you need adapters? IIRC ebay used to have the 4 guage set up with the correct adapters, but i havent found them now.
    thanx...Max
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

There's always this.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986

Some don't like having to 'switch' from cylinder to cylinder, but other than that this works just the same...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

plan

my plan is to sych, adjust mixture to highest vacuum, and recheck synch. ive read about using the colortune etc, but i figured this would work.
      Max

Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

As you can see from the thread below, I may be able to give you some hands on insights, but not until later today or tomorrow.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36500

However, I have surveyed this group, and I would say that there is a light consensus toward the 4 gauge setup over the motion pro blue fluid deal. However, I now have all three: the motion pro blue fluid, the homemade fishtank rig, and the 4 gauge one.

Of course, my carbs are STILL out of synch, so you may not want to listen to me.
        Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
        mods to come

Comment

The motion pro tool was worthless IMO. I got a set of gauges on Ebay that have flow adjustment. Helps eliminate the needle bounce.
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

yeah

thanx Steve. i know when u adjust, it can change the others so i would think seeing all 4 at once would take some of the frustration out trying to get it right and im a perfectionist, so some foul language would be involved im sure.
            Max

Kerker 4/1
            stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Using a version of that tool, I can adjust my carbs in under a 1/2 hour, starting with a bench sync. It's really not that much slower, and can be more accurate as you don't need to worry about gauge calibration...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Jon

wow Jon, ur right in the place i was afraid of being in. cant wait to hear how it goes. good luck!
                i thought Motion Pro was going to be the way to go since it seems a newer version of synching. ive watched youtube videos using both, and it seems pretty easy, but i noticed when the guages were connected, the werent really far off like they had been pre-synched b4 making the video. same with the Motion Pro. they actually unsynched em to resynch em, so im sure it just takes some patience. thanx for all the replys so far.
                Max

Kerker 4/1
                stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Best in my opinion. Comes with all you need for pretty much any bike out there.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

sync tool

I had Catatonicbug help me with my carbs and his tool he had worked awesome. As soon as i saw him sync my carbs i was sold. I had to have one.I just asked him about it yesterday and this is the link he gave me. Im telling you its the best i have ever seen. Im going to get one and a colortune soon as i can save the money.

"Its called a carbtune. Only available from England at www.carbtune.co.uk. They also sell the colortune there. I strongly suggest getting the case for it too."

Just my Two Cents.
                    Last edited by GTXS1100; 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM.
                    80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
                    79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
                    82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
                    81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
                    06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
                    81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
                    81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

Nate

Nate, are u talking about the Motion Pro? is there any diff between the Morgan Carbtune and the Motion pro?
                      Max

Kerker 4/1
                      stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
                        I had Catatonicbug help me with my carbs and his tool he had worked awesome. As soon as i saw him sync my carbs i was sold. I had to have one.I just asked him about it yesterday and this is the link he gave me. Im telling you its the best i have ever seen. Im going to get one and a colortune soon as i can save the money.

"Its called a carbtune. Only available from England at www.carbtune.co.uk. They also sell the colortune there. I strongly suggest getting the case for it too."

Just my Two Cents.
                        I was just going to mention that one! I can't believe no one has mentioned the Carbtune yet! As far as I'm concerned, its the absolute best one out there. No liquid to spill, compact and easy to store/transport in its little carrying case, and comparably priced.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
                          i thought Motion Pro was going to be the way to go since it seems a newer version of synching.
                          Nothin' new........manometors been around for 70+yrs. I use the older MoPro stixs with mercury. Mercury manometors among the unobtanium, so is reason for the blue fluid replacement. Have heard many reports of inaccuacy as the fluid hangs up and all does not return properly. Mercury stixs are bar-none the MOST accurate, but NA. Lots of good feedback on the MorganCarbtune.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

wrong?

is it innacurate to set the mixture with a manometer or guages? ive read some members having issues with gettin the color right with the colortune. i know someone else used the guages for setting the mixture. i dont want to get confused, but i sure want to get it as close to correct without all the problems Jon was having.
                            Max

Kerker 4/1
                            stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
                              is it innacurate to set the mixture with a manometer or guages? ive read some members having issues with gettin the color right with the colortune. i know someone else used the guages for setting the mixture. i dont want to get confused, but i sure want to get it as close to correct without all the problems Jon was having.
                              yup and yup............while idleing, back mix screw out from the initial setting. Slowly start in quarter turn at a time and wait for any change. When going in with the screw and getting close to a couple turns out or so, will hear a slight change in motor. Stop there and back screw out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn(lean-drop setting method). Go thru that a couple times and if your hearing is good, with practice cant get any closer, not even a color tune using the burn color will be as correct. Color tune will get all the same, but won't be what motor wants.
                              Last edited by motoman; 04-27-2012, 03:27 PM.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X