Reinstalling carbs -- hose routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling carbs -- hose routing

So I'm putting my carbs back onto my 80sg, but I'm having trouble re-routing the octy hoses. The schematic in clymers says where everthing is supposed to go, but I can't figure out how to get them there. I get that the short vacuum hose that's not one of the four fuel nipples goes right to the #2 carb boot.

And the left side hoses are pretty simple. But what about right side hoses? How do they get down past the carbs without interfering with the throttle cable brackets? And what is that long hose that goes from the left engine cover to . . . . where?

I searched a lot of threads, and read a lot about ditching the octy, but I couldn't find any good pics or explanation of hose routing.

Any help is appreciated.

Jon
    Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
    mods to come

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks Greg. That's the exact diagram that I have in Clymers. Also, I figured out how to route the four fuel hoses from the octy after taking a little break. I had them stupidly tangled.

But where does that long hose from the left engine cover go to?
      Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
      mods to come

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJon View Post
        where does that long hose from the left engine cover go to?
        It goes to ported vacuum on the front of #2 carb body, not to the #2 intake manifold boot, that is where the octy vac supply hooks to.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, Phil! I'll learn this stuff eventually.

80sg
          mods to come

Comment

JersyJon,

Just to confuse you further, I crossed my fuel lines from the left fuel tap to the right carbs, and the right tap to the left carbs. I had to make the lines longer and this made it easier to route them without getting kinks in them. I also used Tygon fuel line as it's much easier to work with. I used a little more than three feet. For some of us, it's nice to have a functioning vacuum shutoff valve. YMMV.

Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              JersyJon,

Just to confuse you further, I crossed my fuel lines from the left fuel tap to the right carbs, and the right tap to the left carbs. I had to make the lines longer and this made it easier to route them without getting kinks in them. I also used Tygon fuel line as it's much easier to work with. I used a little more than three feet. For some of us, it's nice to have a functioning vacuum shutoff valve. YMMV.

Marty,

This is really helpful. As I was laying the tank back down over the octy and slipping the hoses back onto the petcocks, I thought, these lines should be longer and the left should go to the right and vice versa. I'll order some of that Tygon stuff, and put it on the pile with the brake pads, SS brake lines, fairing, mc rebuild kits, and all the other stuff that I'm going to put on the bike some day.

80sg
              mods to come

Comment

Working...
              X