Yet ANOTHER carb/fuel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet ANOTHER carb/fuel question

So I had some issues with the carbs, some of which were self inflicted. I just don't have the time to break them down, so I sinned. I brought the carbs to a shop for cleaning. They're just about done, but they said that they found rust sediment (as opposed to rust) in the bowls. And they asked if my tank was rusty.

question 1 - Does that question make sense? I'll check the tank tonight.

Question 2 - If it is, is relining the answer? Should I use kreem?

Question 3 - Is there anything I should know about putting the carbs back on the bike? I have new carb boots. Do you just slide them all back together and tighten the clamps?

Of course, I'll sync them, and I'll report on that.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
    mods to come

#1 - yes

#2 - if it's not leaking just use some rust remover in there. Liner isn't necessary if it's not leaking. (rust holes)

#3-yes-make certain everything is reconnected properly.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

#2 - if it's not leaking just use some rust remover in there. Liner isn't necessary if it's not leaking. (rust holes)

#3-yes-make certain everything is reconnected properly.
      Thanks Greg, especially for number 3.

So I read a bunch of threads on this, but I'm still not clear on what the best rust remover is. Any suggestions?

Jon
      Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
      mods to come

Comment

Electrolysis is a proven and often used method.

If you line the tank though I suggest using Red-Kote rather than kreem. I have never heard of it failing but plenty of kreem liners have. It is all in the prep work though.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJon View Post
          Thanks Greg, especially for number 3.

So I read a bunch of threads on this, but I'm still not clear on what the best rust remover is. Any suggestions?

Jon
          I've heard good things about Evapo-rust and it's readily available.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
          X