1979 vs 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 vs 1981

will carburetors of a 1981 xs work for a 1979 xs?. Had my carbs cleaned and shop snapped the pilot screws inside then they drilled them out not to sure if it will work so looked for replacements found 1981 on ebay

The 81 carbs will work but are of a different design. I prefer the older 78-79 carbs myself because they are much more adjustable.

Be patient, some older carbs will become available.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Any FULL bank of carbs will fit any XS1100. The early had more adjustments, but the late model will run and tune fine. Just remember what you have when you order rebuild kits. The ONLY exception are the XJ1100 carbs. The choke was cable operated, and the assembly on the carbs are different. It is easy to move parts from one set to the other, though, so even that can be done with just a little work.
      As far as the drilled body, there are a FEW of them running on machines. If done well, you cannot notice it, so you are probably OK if the mechanic has had to do that before.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray is a smart fella!! A fellow XSive has my old set of 81 carbs on their 79 Special, runs like a scalded dog, tuned up just fine.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by ArtMakin1 View Post
          will carburetors of a 1981 xs work for a 1979 xs?. Had my carbs cleaned and shop snapped the pilot screws inside then they drilled them out not to sure if it will work so looked for replacements found 1981 on ebay
          Hi Art and welcome,
          the '79's skinny needle tips break off for a pastime and sometimes the broken off ends just won't come out except that you drill them.
          An 0.039" (1mm) drill bit works perfect but the average bench drill chuck won't grip a drill that small.
          I had to use a 1/16" drill bit on my son's XS750 (same kinda carbs) and it ran fine afterwards.
          Like the previous post sez, any year XS11 carb bank will work on your bike.
          I'd say put the fixed up '79 carb rack back on and see how it runs.
          It depends what they cost but an extra set of carbs can be good insurance against future needs even if you just keep them on a shelf.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks alot

waiting for pilot screws to come in to install carbs back on

Comment

Working...
            X