Engine Turnover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Turnover

So...when I try to turn the crank by hand (going in the proper direction of course) It seems to "catch", and not want to turn any further. If I hit the starter, however, it turns over fine, no terrible noises of a valve getting chewed on or anything. Is this normal?
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Is this with the spark plugs removed? If the plugs are still in, rotating the engine should create pressure that should make it difficult to rotate. If it still "catches" with the plugs removed, then you have a problem.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Once I get the new oil seal in, I will try pulling the plugs and turning it over then. Thanks Bug!
      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

If it was a valve issue it is not now that he spun it over with the starter. Word to the wise is if it will not turn over by hand then STOP. If it is something as simple as compression better to find out before you ruin stuff. Hope you are ok and you did not bend stuff but if you do not know ask first. Heartache an be saved bigtime.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

If it was a valve issue, things have probably been damaged for awhile, since I haven't messed with anything in that area, and nothing has changed since the bike ran. I guess I am assuming a valve getting chewed up by the piston would make a noise? Maybe not.

I will pull the plugs and take a look see inside anyhow, worst comes to worst, at least I can figure out if it is scrap before I take the next load of metal to the salvager.
          Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I did a compression test on mine and they were all over 170 so with the plugs in, it would probably be hard to turn when it hits the compression stroke on a cylinder. So, as said, removing the plugs should make it easy to turn as there will be no compression. Remove all plugs though.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Sounds like nothing to be done but pull the plugs and go from there. Hopefully sometime next week the new oil seal will show up, and I can get back to troubleshooting.
              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                If it was a valve issue it is not now that he spun it over with the starter. Word to the wise is if it will not turn over by hand then STOP. If it is something as simple as compression better to find out before you ruin stuff. Hope you are ok and you did not bend stuff but if you do not know ask first. Heartache an be saved bigtime.
                GOOD advice given here! Prevent bent valves now!
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Compression on Old Man is 167 to 173 on all 4.. I can turn mine over with a box end wrench, with plugs in.... of course when you hit a compression stroke it is a little firmer. But not like a catch, just harder to push. Hopefully you don't have something tatered in there.

if you were crowning valves with the piston you would hear it, trust me... when your valves start beating smiley faces into your pistons they make a good *chonk* *chonk* noise as it rolls over on the starter.... right untill the head of the valve breaks off, valve bends, or they just lock together.
                  But its best not to think about that
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Lol, very reassuring Don...luckily, no chewing noises from the engine as of yet.
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I was not saying that you likely bent a valve. I am simply stating that if anyone who reads this thread has an issue like that, it is a poor idea to use the starter. You have to remember that for every forum member on here there are umpteen dozen lurkers who read everything we say and then go try it. Usually once they follow some less than proper ideas in a thread they join the forum to ask what happened. I was one of those lurkers for a while myself.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Between the crank and the rods acting like fulcrums, the pistons have a LOT of leverage against a soft valve coming in at an angle so that you just catch an edge. I was rotating the motor with a wrench the first time I replaced a cam chain, and bent 4 valves being VERY careful... and never felt a thing.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own