Cylinder Head Stuck on posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Head Stuck on posts

I've started a tear down/rebuild project. I've been working on removing the engine and got stuck.... literally, stuck.

I was able to separate the cylinder head from the base, but it seems to get stuck on the posts, about 1 inch from slipping off. I've inspected the posts and holes and don't see anything mucked up. I'm I missing something? Any suggestions. I've tried to lube it up, but it seems to get stuck on the posts near the no.2 piston.

Thanks

camkov
    Cameron
    79 XS 1100SF (The long road of restoration)

hi camkov,
    i had a similar problem the last time
    i removed mine, hopefully ur engine is still
    in the frame, all u can really do is work the block
    up and down, itll eventually come off,
    took me a cpl of days, id leave it for a while then come
    back to it, it also stuffed my back up well and good.
    good luck with it.

btw welcome to the group.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Probably just a little corrosion in there. Keep working it.

You think the head is difficult? Wait till you try and remove the jugs.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

lol
        me bad, i thought he meant the jugs,
        head should be much easier, but still
        the same, just work it up and down.
        if u have a compressor, squirt air in betrween
        the studs and head to blow out any crap.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I had the problem with both the head and the jugs. The problem was the studs in the front, the inner two from both sides (I forget which numbers they are) had rusted/corroded and the corrosion had expanded so much it was just like brakes squeezed in calipers... It took me forever to tap, tap tap the head off and I used Kroil to help dissolve the rust. If you have the same problem I did, you'll also find the aligning studs were also rusted and expanded against the aluminum in the head the same way.

One of the key things that helped was to tap it up & down repeatedly in tiny distances, this to force the rust to slowly break down. It took maybe 3 hours to get the head off. It took even longer to get the jugs off and in the process I broke off a small couple fin pieces even though I was really trying to not damage anything. I was able to get them "reattached" later with no problems. IF I would have known those two studs were the culprits, I would have spent more effort tapping from the front instead of doing so equally all around the top.

Oh yeah, on two of the studs, the nut did not release and they unscrewed from the crankcase instead. I had to cut them off from inside the head and replace them with used studs I was able to get. The reason I couldn't pull them out was that rust that had corroded inside the tubes the studs are in (The compressed part). Once the head was free I removed the corrosion from those tubes in the head and in the jugs. There was a lot in those two tubes. Oddly, none of the other studs/tubes were at all affected.

If... you have the same cause as I did, you'll find those two rusted studs are somewhat thinned and there was a plastic sleeve originally on them that is now fragmented, it took the longest time to figure out what those chunks were.... I sprayed the studs with "steel it", a stainless steel spray before reassembly so they won't rust again in the future.

Take it slow & they will eventually come apart. Do use the Kroil to break down the rust.

Nice to meet you!
          Last edited by KA1J; 04-23-2012, 01:18 AM.
          82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Thanks so much for the input and suggestions and direction. I'm gonna go with the corrosion as the culprit. Just to make sure though I took pic of the situation, but I don't see how to attach/insert it.
            Cameron

Comment

To post pics on this site you have to upload them to a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Then link to the pics here. Catatonic Bug did a how to thread on it.

Basically it saves alot of memory cost for the site by only linking to the photos.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Wonderful!!! Thanks so much for the help. I was able to work it off without destroying anything. Very cool.

Also, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me when I get "stuck" again.
                Cameron

Comment

Working...
                X