Just did drive swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just did drive swap

Have a couple of comments that might help someone. First, I'm not real sure I like the change. I do some long haul riding, the change is perfect for that use. Not so good for around town. Have to use fourth which actually is lower than O.E.M top gear was any where below 55. Have to see what this does to fuel economy. Next, I think the length spec for the drive shaft spacer is a bit long. According to my measurements a spacer 13 MM long would be perfect. Reason is if you use the stock Eleven spring the 16 MM spec puts it very close to coil bind. 13 MM puts the shaft splines right in the middle of the gear flange spline.
    Lastly, my Special was born with gear noise. Sounded to me as though a couple of teeth in top gear weren't friends and weren't getting any more friendly. After the change all I can hear is the exhaust purr. Hard to believe all that noise was coming from the rear drive, but must have been. This part I REALLY like so may keep the unit for that reason only.

After you've ridden it a while and get used to it, get on another XS with the stock FD and you'll really feel like your on a low geared tractor.

Mine has that 5th gear whine too but it doesn't come around until about 90 now. The taller 1st is the most difficult to get used to but it's all in the finesse of the clutch handle. I can idle away from stoplights now without even thinking about it.

When I'm riding twisties I don't even use 5th, 3rd and 4th will outrun anyone if you can ride at all. The nice thing is 4K at 70MPH and much smoother shifting. Not so jumpy
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
      Have a couple of comments that might help someone. First, I'm not real sure I like the change. I do some long haul riding, the change is perfect for that use. Not so good for around town. Have to use fourth which actually is lower than O.E.M top gear was any where below 55. Have to see what this does to fuel economy. Next, I think the length spec for the drive shaft spacer is a bit long. According to my measurements a spacer 13 MM long would be perfect. Reason is if you use the stock Eleven spring the 16 MM spec puts it very close to coil bind. 13 MM puts the shaft splines right in the middle of the gear flange spline.
      Lastly, my Special was born with gear noise. Sounded to me as though a couple of teeth in top gear weren't friends and weren't getting any more friendly. After the change all I can hear is the exhaust purr. Hard to believe all that noise was coming from the rear drive, but must have been. This part I REALLY like so may keep the unit for that reason only.
      I thought that too about the spacer length. I looked at the final that came out and you can see where the gear has been running. When you look at the 850 rear the splines don't even go all the way to the back of the drive which if you use the recommended length is about where its going to run. Take the area where it was running and add the length of the spacer. I went with the recommendation over my thoughts thinking maybe I'm missing something, time will tell. I ride a mix of in town and expressway riding and find that I'm just running a gear lower than I used to. Its like trading 1-5 for 2-6. 30 mph is 30mph regardless of which gear you are in so to me it doesn't matter plus the time in each gear seems a bit longer. I will say it doesn't accelerate like my XS does with the stock rear end.

I have 300 miles on my conversion and still think 1st is too tall but the gain on the other end outweighs it. Yes I'm used to it but it doesn't mean I have to like it. As a cruiser I will not be going back. I've picked up around 5 mpg but I've always tried to keep rpms as low as possible.
      Last edited by WSL91; 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM.
      1970? Honda Z50... gone
      1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
      1974 Honda CB200... gone
      1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
      1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
      2008 Honda VTX 1800F
      1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
        I will say it doesn't accelerate like my XS does with the stock rear end.
        I did find that the main downside but it's a trade-off, eh? In the end, I changed back to OEM FD for local use, saving the swap for touring. In a way, it seems a shame to 'castrate' a bike like a standard XS1100 by putting the 750FD on. Then again, for longer distances, the swap is great!

I used both, interchanging them easily enough....
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Seems a lot of you guys find the first gear a problem with this swap. Funny, I didn't even notice it. My biggest dislike is the engine is lugging at 45-50 MPH. Oh yea, I'm on a Special but I fitted a 17" rear wheel before I found ya'all trying to get the gearing tall enough to run interstates. So, now I'm taching 3000 at 55 and 4000 at 77. Maybe just a might too tall now. Would go back to the 16 rear if I hadn't JUST bought tires. I do everything backwards!

Comment

Ahh...with that 17" rear it will be a bit tall in the gearing.

Really, I never noticed the difference that much when I had the 750FD on my first SH. I know I have taken off in third with the 750 FD on before (not on purpose, just did not get downshifted as I turned around. Granted I had to feather the clutch a little, but it still pulled out. But then, I always had the 16" wheel.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
              Not so good for around town. Have to use fourth which actually is lower than O.E.M top gear was any where below 55.

Actually, 4th is nearly identical as the stock 5th. You can ride in 4th next to someone with a stock in 5th, and you'll start hearing the reverberations from the motors running the same rpm.

With the 750/850 F/D, if you can't run it down easily to 25mph in 5th, cruising around, then give it gas and accelerate away, you probably need to do some carb adjusting and synch. There shouldn't be any knocking/pinging, etc. No, it's not going to blast away like you were in 1st, but it shouldn't be a problem at all to ride that slow with it.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                I did find that the main downside but it's a trade-off, eh? In the end, I changed back to OEM FD for local use, saving the swap for touring. In a way, it seems a shame to 'castrate' a bike like a standard XS1100 by putting the 750FD on. Then again, for longer distances, the swap is great!

I used both, interchanging them easily enough....
                This just proves that you need at least 2 1100s. 1 for cruising and 1 for racing. Thats part of why I just picked up another X_
                1970? Honda Z50... gone
                1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                1974 Honda CB200... gone
                1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
                  This just proves that you need at least 2 1100s. 1 for cruising and 1 for racing. Thats part of why I just picked up another X_
                  Two + a spare, if at all possible
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                  X