New member, main jet opinions wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobBaldy View Post
    Noob mistake. I should have searched before asking. My post is broken off at the base. The only repair for that I found in the forums is the one I assumed wasn't possible. I need to find a man who's [B]real good[B] with a TIG welder.
    I had mine welded through MOTORCYCLECARBS.com. Unfortunately, they weren't doing business last I talked to Rob. He had farmed the job out, so it's just a matter of finding somebody to do it.

I had a fire due to failed JB WELD repair to the post.

http://motorcyclecarbs.com/_P16629.cfm
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey Bob,

Did you look at the links? Most of these break off at the junction to the base, not all the way down to the gasket surface, and the repairs shown or mentioned are for that type of repair.

They are made from cast aluminum, seem to be more porous, but they don't necessarily leak fuel do they? The tank sealer sounds like it might be a way to keep the superglue from getting exposed.....worth a try.

Not familiar with your particular sealant, not sure if you have to use it all up once/if it's mixed, or if you can use some, put the rest away for later? If you can do it in steps, then you might want to do a test on something that you can superglue, then coat with the sealant, allow to cure, and then drop it in a bowl/jar of gasoline and see what happens! Could be a new/addition to a pending tech tip on float post repairs.

T.C.
      Mine is snapped about half way to the gasket- I'll post a picture in the morning (crappy work computer can't open Photobucket). I don't want to try drilling because I don't trust my hands to stay steady (nerve damage).

Here's an info sheet on Red Kote- http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

Red Kote won't add any strength (it's flexible) but I believe the superglue will hold it. I'm not going to run a test because they say a tank coated in 1984 is still good. Luckily (if you can call it luck) the snapped post is on the outside of the #1 carb so all I have to do to inspect the repair is drop the fuel bowl, not pull the carbs. If this dosen't work I can clean the Red Kote off with MEK and have it TIG welded.
      Last edited by BobBaldy; 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: add space so link works
      80 G, Spaghetti pipes, K&N in stock airbox, Galfer S/S lines.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. -Abraham Lincoln

http://80xselevenrebuild.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's the carb post

The bike as I found her

And what she looks like today

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That is a nasty break on the post. If you have, or have access to, a drill press, I would try drilling a hole for a reinforcing post into both pieces. Use a piece of a SS bolt witht he outer thread diameter the same as the diameter of the hole drilled, and some JB weld or similar epoxy to put the "threaded rod" into each piece. The JB weld should hold up, and really it would not have pressure on it anyway.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            That is a nasty break on the post. If you have, or have access to, a drill press, I would try drilling a hole for a reinforcing post into both pieces. Use a piece of a SS bolt witht he outer thread diameter the same as the diameter of the hole drilled, and some JB weld or similar epoxy to put the "threaded rod" into each piece. The JB weld should hold up, and really it would not have pressure on it anyway.
            I could use a drill press at my second job but I want to try the super glue/tank sealer idea. I really think it will be a fast easy repair that will fix a common problem. The post is not under much stress and superglue loves a compound fracture- lots of surface area to grab on to. It's not a cheap fix though. The tank sealer is @ $35 and the MEK solvent (required for prep before coating the gas tank) is another $20 or more. But I figure if you have your carbs apart to clean the gunk out of them you probably have rust in the tank like I do. So this is a two birds with one stone fix. When you're done the tank won't screw up your freshly cleaned carbs.

Comment

Somthing I should have mentioned in the "As she is now" picture. That's a Harbor Freight lift she's sitting on that was on sale for $100. I laid a 2x10 across it and it clears the headers. You can put one foot on the lift and pull the bike to change the ballance point after taking the wheels off. A note about the lift. The assembly instructions suck but if you can't figure out how to put a lift together you shouldn't be working on your bike anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X