got her started :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got her started :D

well that describes my mood right now. i got my 79 special going, lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust ( i assume thats normal for the first time starting a bike in 15+ years) but i got it to rev all the way to redline and stay at an idle, so the rest of the work looks to be cosmetic and making sure the bike is roadworthy. just wanted to thank everyone for their help and patience with me, i'll hopefully have her ready by the beginning of next week!
    1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
    progress thus far...
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Way to go!

They usually smoke a lot after setting a long time & being fed WD40 while you're fooling with it, to make sure everything turns without clanking.

Should settle down.I just got my 78E running on all 4s today. When i brought it home last year it smoked like a bug fogger. Can't even see smoke now.

Good luck with your toy.
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

When I awoken Old Man after its 7 year slumber he coughed up some crop dusting fumes for me for a while while the carbon, rust, seafoam, cob-webs, etc all worked themselves out of the motor. watch your spark plugs... they will foul up quick! Good to hear you got it running. Keep @ it
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Nice isn't it? " I love it when a plan comes together" John Hannible Smith
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Shockman54 View Post

well that describes my mood right now. i got my 79 special going, lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust ( i assume thats normal for the first time starting a bike in 15+ years) but i got it to rev all the way to redline and stay at an idle, so the rest of the work looks to be cosmetic and making sure the bike is roadworthy. just wanted to thank everyone for their help and patience with me, i'll hopefully have her ready by the beginning of next week!
          If it's been sitting that long you may have some sticky rings and it'll use some oil for a while. Just run it. The heat cycles will help free things up.

Marvel Mystery oil in your fuel won't hurt either.

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          Nice isn't it? " I love it when a plan comes together" John Hannible Smith
          " I pity the fool" B.A..
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

started her up again today after messing with the float height again, seem to have it about right. now to address the leaky petcocks and get the fuel line length just right, then make a bracket to keep the carbs in place while riding, then she should be ready to go! i am going to pull the valve cover off one more time and check the valve clearance before i put too many miles on her, i just feel like running it and riding it some may change that a bit. then i have a small oil leak coming from the cam chain tensioner. but other than those things, she should be ready btw, not nearly as much smoke this time, so that cleared up quick (and the plugs looked good as new as well)
            1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
            progress thus far...

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

Great, you will be riding in no time! Well, as long as the freak snowstorms stay away
              Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
              Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                Great, you will be riding in no time! Well, as long as the freak snowstorms stay away
                hey now,you better knock on wood or do some other superstitious stuff.
                progress thus far...

Comment

hey now,you better knock on wood or do some other superstitious stuff.
                  I'm safe, I moved to Alabama...

although with my luck, something will happen weather wise when I come up this summer...just like last time...

Last edited by Joab; 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM.
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

North Dakota and Minnesota are just a part of Canadia with a US zip code.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      Well then Texas and Oklahoma are part of Mexico with US zip codes .

Montana is just as bad as ND!

Ok, I am going to leave you alone till tomorrow now Greg
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've completed that exercise on a number of old tractors, pretty neat when they come back to life!
                        1970? Honda Z50... gone
                        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                        1974 Honda CB200... gone
                        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Gee Greg,
                          and us Saskatchewanese commute down there to develop a winter sun tan.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                          X