Steering head bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering head bearings

Looking for guidance! I've got the upper steering head bearing off but the lower one is firmly in place, thats where I'm at now, prying that lower one loose....

It could be I've approached the whole thing the wrong way and the steering column simply is driven down with a center punch and the bearing pops up the tapered shaft. I see a rupper shield at the bottom of the lower triple tree...could be thats the way it goes.

I'll wait and see if you Guys out there can give advice on the procedure....I have to go back to the bike shop now aS they gave me the wrong bearings not tapered but cylindrical......

I looked on the maint. site but did'nt find a procedure for bearings....I'm sure its there but I just missed it....anyway thanks in advance for advice and have a great summer's riding all!
    Bruce
    78XS1100
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

You can't press the shaft through the lower tree as it's welded on... so you either need a bearing puller or drive it off using a cold chisel...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I went through this recently. The lower bearing is a very tight fit. Getting it off with a chisel is going to take some time and patience. If you do it this way, try not to hit your hand with the hammer. It kinda hurts.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Cut a slot in the bearing with a dremel, snap it with a chisel. Works great. Save the split bearing, use it on top of the new when you tap the new one in place. Put the tree by itself in the freezer for a couple of hours, the new bearing will go on alot easier
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
          Cut a slot in the bearing with a dremel, snap it with a chisel. Works great. Save the split bearing, use it on top of the new when you tap the new one in place. Put the tree by itself in the freezer for a couple of hours, the new bearing will go on alot easier
          As Randy stated, split the race using a cut-off on a Dremal, and if just split on one side can use it to install the new race.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Bruce,
            If you are talking of the one on the tree:

and I recall BDF saying : Don't tap it Phil HIT it

Grinding the race.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
            X