Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke down...need advice

Hey guys,
    I was out riding, I was giving some hard throttle and all of a sudden my throttle grip went completely loose. Can't give any throttle. I can't see any obvious breaks on the cable itself and I am not sure what to do to get home. Any ideas on what to check for or rig up?

Thanks
    '80 Standard

The cable is inside the housing, and has a metal ball on each end. Check to be sure the metal balls are still connected to each end of the cable. If not, you can get a kit at autozone to put new ones on (never tried it personally, but seen is spoken of here on the forum). Looks like it's time to get a new cable though. They are all over ebay for about $25.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Will the ball be on the inside of the switch assembly or do I just slide the grip off?

Thanks man
      '80 Standard

Comment

First, get a manual so you can see the assembly and what is on there. Conventiently, Bug has a link in his signature to his site where he host the manuals for free download.

The cable runs up into the right hand switch assembly, then onto the throttle grip. Pull the two screws out of the switch and it will separate into two halfs revealing the throttle cable connection to the grip. If it is loose on that end, it will be fairly obvious.

Chances are the cable snapped inside the sheathing somewhere. But look at the throttle cable connection on the carbs and be sure the cable end is in its correct spot, and that the sheathing end is in its correct holder.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Sweet thanks guys. I do have the manual on the computer, but didn't put it on the phone. I will be loading it on there for the next time this kind of thing happens while I am out on the road.

I see how to fix it now. Thanks for all the help guys.
          '80 Standard

Comment

You can get a new cable here(http://newmotorcycleparts.com/contro...le_cables.html) for 12.95 plus shipping. Should be able to get it for under 20 bucks. Yamaha models are at the bottom of the page. I am very pleased with my cable from there
            1979 XS1100F
            1980 XS1100SG(First bike, sold)

Other bikes
            1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)
            1983 Yamaha XV920 Midnight Special
            1984 Yamaha XT250 Enduro (project)

Comment

Extra things to carry with you:

1) throttle cable

2) clutch cable

3) clutch lever and brake lever ( first thing that breaks if you lay it down)

4) at least 1 good spark plug

5) small tube of silicone

6) zip ties

7) electrical tape

8) I personally carry an extra set of pickup coils. I would rather change them on the side of the road than try and fix them there.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Did you check the end of the cable at the carbs first?
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                X