Quick question about Geezers regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about Geezers regulator

Hi guys, I understand that Geezers regulator is an upgrade from stock. My question is will it just aid in charging the battery or will it also give a better spark? Thank you!
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

I fitted one of these. It won't give a better spark per se but, by ensuring that the battery is well-charged all the time, it leads to more reliable running. When battery voltage drops too low, the TCI unit will not produce a spark at all, so having a well-charged battery is important.

Geezer's component produces full charging of the battery at about 1300 rpm instead of the OEM 4,000 rpm. This means the battery charges well even during commuting and low rev use

Geezer's rectifier/regulator is an excellent piece of kit with each aspect of it having its own heat sink. The OEM ones share a heat sink and the regulator can heat up the rectifier side of it and cause problems.

Geezer's is a straight bolt-on and it's a well-engineered, attractive component! Very sleek (not that you see it much).
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks for that thorough info James. I'm doing a few tweaks/upgrades and I thought this one might be worthwhile. You confirmed it - thank you.
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

4000 rpm! I think its more like 2300-2400. And I thought geezer kicked in at 1800?
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
          4000 rpm! I think its more like 2300-2400. And I thought geezer kicked in at 1800?
          I think it really depends on the cleanliness of the electrical system. When I first got mine charging started around 3000-3500, after cleaning everything well it is more around 2000-2500
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You could ask Geezer. He told me his kicks in full at 1400. That's about where my headlight quits getting brighter, and it's close to just off idle. Basically, with a Geezer unit if you're rolling you're charging. He's never had one die of a part failure.
            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
              I must say, I've never had an XS1100 that produces full charging at 2,400 rpm. Geezer's reaches maximum charging at approx 1300 rpm.... well, it certainly did that when I fitted mine last year. Does your Geezer rectifier produce full charge at 1,800rpm then? If so, I presume that maybe there is a slight variation in performance between various units.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
              X