XJ11 shocks on an XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 shocks on an XS11

I wanted a softer ride, my stock XS11 shocks were a bit worn and becoming a bit of a kidney buster. So, I found some XJ11 shocks on the bay. Sorry, but I did not take pics on this one.

IT is a pretty straight forward swap. The one modification I found was needed is swapping which shock goes on which side. The way they arrived, the air line interfered with my helmet lock. The only thing that determines which side the shock goes on, is the size of the bushing on the bottom of the shocks.

So I had to create a press to push the rubber bushing out of each and push it back into the other. It is a tight fit and took some serious effort to push them out. I even snapped one of my older cast iron C-Clamps in the process.

After the effort to swap them out, I got them installed and adjusted the air pressure and damper settings, and got out for a test ride. So far I like the feel of these shocks, seems like a softer ride, but so far did not notice any loss in handling.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Mine fit right on after I removed the helmet lock. It never gets used anyway.

The hardest part I found was snaking the airline in under the seat. I like the way they ride and handle too.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've Got XJ shocks on Old Man. I have the air inlet in my license plate. works great and I can adjust between pressure for 2 up or single rider in minutes before I head out.
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

let me correct that... I have air shocks on Old Man, I do not know if they are actually XJ shocks
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          I wanted a softer ride, my stock XS11 shocks were a bit worn and becoming a bit of a kidney buster. So, I found some XJ11 shocks on the bay. Sorry, but I did not take pics on this one.

IT is a pretty straight forward swap. The one modification I found was needed is swapping which shock goes on which side. The way they arrived, the air line interfered with my helmet lock. The only thing that determines which side the shock goes on, is the size of the bushing on the bottom of the shocks.

So I had to create a press to push the rubber bushing out of each and push it back into the other. It is a tight fit and took some serious effort to push them out. I even snapped one of my older cast iron C-Clamps in the process.

After the effort to swap them out, I got them installed and adjusted the air pressure and damper settings, and got out for a test ride. So far I like the feel of these shocks, seems like a softer ride, but so far did not notice any loss in handling.
          Its funny how the grass is always greener on the other side. The XS guys want the XJ shocks because they are better/newer, the XJ guys want the Shadow Showa shocks because they are better/newer, the Shadow guys are buying progressives (I was a Shadow guy).......

I also ride a Honda VTX which halfway through its life Honda quit putting badges on the tank and went to stickers. The Badge guys pull them off and proudly state that they are de-badged (even in their signatures). The sticker guys are always looking for the badges that were pulled.......
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Funny you mention the Showa shocks. That was my other item to consider for an "upgrade".

Honestly, the air shocks seem pretty nice. But my old ones were used and abused like the bike when I got it, so I am sure they were long overdue. Its not the grass being greener as much as the amount of green it took to upgrade.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Roger that, DGSXR. XJ units were the low buck solution for me as well. Mine were bouncy till I finally pulled the air hose off, drained the few ounces of old oil and refilled with fresh 5W. I like the adjustability. I'm running mine @35# and 3 dampening. Firm but not harsh. Tires are @ 4# under max inflate for solo riding. I'd air up to max and probably 50# in the shocks for 2 up. Don't do much of that kind of work, and the XJ set up is working fine for my style of riding.
              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Got a pair of Fox Racing air shocks this weekend for $5 bucks. They cam off an xs11 but we shall see how well they handle the fat xs11. Fox Racing seems to do mostly dirt bike stuff.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X