Filter bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter bolt

Sorry for all the questions but I have a number of problems with this new bike I bought. I have searched this forum for info on a stuck oil filter bolt. I now have some ideas to try to get it off. Is there a trick when putting the bolt back so it does not stick again. I read that you should not tighten it to tight but without a torque wrench what bench mark do you use?
    79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

Hmm,I always use 6 sided wrench or socket to losen the bolt,and I always put a little grease or new oil on the threads and gaskets before I reinstall the filter.
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

You can use the same stuff you use on spark plugs to keep them from locking up. Just a tiny dab of anti-seize on the threads should do it. Also, referencing the spark plugs, you can tighten the oil filter bold with about the same torque as the plugs. Enough to be snug, but not so much that you snap them off.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Putting some oil on the threads is never a bad idea. Honestly, I do recommend you get a torque wrench. I know, lots of bikes out there are put together with the calibrated forarm approach. And I cenrtainly will not tell you I never do that for miscelaneous fasteners like the gas tank bolt, or the battery box bolts, seat bolts, air cleaner box bolts.

But for engine components, suspension components where my life depends on those things staying where I put them, and especially the steel bolts in aluminum connections, I use a torque wrench. It may surprise you the difference in 14.5 ft-lbs and 24 ft-lbs. It could also make life much easier getting out the oil pan bolt than when the last gorilla pulled the wrench till he felt the bolt squeal. Or keep you from noticing your XS is now marking its territory from that dripping filter bolt.

Torque Wrench
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
        X