New to me 1984 XJ 1100 /center stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 1984 XJ 1100 /center stand

So i picked up a 1984 XJ with 22455 ks on it . I have been working on cleaning it up and what not finding the bike in very good shape as it has very low milage .it did sit outside for
    at least one winter that i know about. came with 2 new sets of tires and a extra motor
    and frame some lights and other things .One thing i did find is the centerstand mount
    had pulled from the frame bad weld got that fixed but man what a beast to get off of the center stand it seams that the bike gos over to far on the stand is this comon on the XJ
    i have a 86 Concourse and i thought its was hard to get on and off of the stand but this thing it takes 2 people getting it on the stand is ok but just try to get it to come off
    any one got any ideas i will try for some pics as i get more work finished up on the bike.
    And thanks for all the great info on this site
    1984 XJ1100

Well when mine is on the center stand there's a couple inches between the rear tire and the ground. I would think that if its too far forward the rear wheel would be getting close to the ground. Its possible the pivot was welded wrong on the frame but it can't be too far off or the stand would bind as there are 2 separate pivot points/bolts that need to be in alignment with one another.

To put mine up I press down with all my weight on the center stand while I lift up on the rear end with my right hand and pull back with my left hand (handlebars). The bike pops right up.

Getting it down I straddle bike and push forward with both hands on the handlebars as I rock the bike so that when t comes down I have lots of control.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

the wheel on my bike is 2 or 3 inches off the ground aswell its not hard to get onto the stand but to get it off i have to push so hard it slides the stand acrost the ground
      the pivet for the stand is in the right place it did not break right off all i had to do was clamp
      it back tight against the frame and weld it . I think i will try the stand off of the SX frame i have and see if that helps maybe the stand is bent
      1984 XJ1100

Comment

The XS/XJ centerstands are all the same height, so doing a swap won't help...

Has the bike been lowered? Do you have the right sized rear tire (130/90-16)? These things can effect how high the bike is relative to the ground.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Maybe the pivot bolts are nealry seized up. Under the bike there are 2, its really a simple device aside from the huge spring.
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

The tire is the stock size and i lubed up the bolts today hopeing my fork seals and dustboots come in aswell as the new front break pads kind of hard on my shoes draging
            my feet to make her stop .Did yamaha fix the 1st and 2nd gear trouble by the time the 84 XJ
            came out or is it the same as the XS
            1984 XJ1100

Comment

Originally posted by jfgood View Post
              .Did yamaha fix the 1st and 2nd gear trouble by the time the 84 XJ came out or is it the same as the XS
              It might have gotten fixed by that time, as Yamaha had started offering the 'improved' gear sets. Not every bike had the gear problem, so it's not a 'must do' repair....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

the bike shifts very well not a soft shift but slick so i am hopeing it had a update
                1984 XJ1100

Comment

Working...
                X