Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction side covers

Hey all,

I had an idea for a summer project (outside of finishing my bike) and wanted to get the communities opinion on it.

Through my university I have access to a CNC machine and all sorts of mold making capabilities which got me thinking, I could easily make molds of some side covers, then pour plastic and have some very accurate reproductions.

I know finding originals is hard and gets expensive, would anyone be interested in these if I got around to making them?

Thanks,
    Joshua Cade
    1979 XS1100 (non special and slightly dented)

I think you'll find that this has been discussed before although I seem to remember that it wasn't an easy process like the one you've outlined. What sort of plastic would you be using? Also, how would you include the fastening lug which attaches each panel to the bike? One of them locks on too..... Sounds interesting.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hey Josh,

You're in a central location with plenty of XSives around, so I would think you should be able to get ahold of the variety of side panels from the different years to use as mold/modelling guides. Do you have laser measuring capabilities for being able to duplicate the curves and such?!

As stated, the left side cover has a locking tab which is commonly broken off due to new owners not knowing that it's locked, and the key is required to unlock it in the front, but there's often a dirt/water cover plate so they often don't see the lock key slot!

I've got a set off an 81 Standard that I can ship/loan to you if you need.
      Good Luck.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Im interested. I need a lefty for my 80 special. I can find some fairly easily, but they are always in beat-up used condition and they still price em like they are a shiny new product. Im not gonna shell out that kinda money for 30 year old brittle plastic crap. But i would happily pay you that kinda money for a high quality new repro piece. Bring on the goods and commerce shall commence.
        1980 XS1100 SG Stock

Comment

Originally posted by jmcvey1 View Post
          Hey all,

I had an idea for a summer project (outside of finishing my bike) and wanted to get the communities opinion on it.

Through my university I have access to a CNC machine and all sorts of mold making capabilities which got me thinking, I could easily make molds of some side covers, then pour plastic and have some very accurate reproductions.

I know finding originals is hard and gets expensive, would anyone be interested in these if I got around to making them?

Thanks,
          Joshua Cade
          Are the side covers injection molded? I doubt that they are vacuum formed. Not sure what plastic you pour to mold. Do you have access to that type of equipment? I know on Honda's a lot of these type parts are ABS as is the Vetter Windjammer
          Last edited by WSL91; 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM.
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

do you have the know how and software
            to measure and create a 3d program for the cnc machine

as it is complex, and time consuming
            it is not unusal for the machine to run 10 to 20 hours
            to mill out a mold
            http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
            78E main ride, since birth the "good"
            78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
            78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
            79F Parts
            80G Parts
            75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Not trying to high jack the thread, but I am in the final stage of product development and within the next few weeks, I will be offering a fix for the side covers with the broken tab. The repair kit will consist of black powder coated machined aluminum parts, and stainless steel hardware. When fixed, the side cover will attach in the same way as the other side. The price will be $35.99 shipped.

Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

The side covers are injection molded thermoplastic. Making the molds is NOT a trivial task simply because the final shape of the mold does not actually match the desired final shape of the part! This is due to the thermal contraction as the part is cooling and for an accurate mold, it must be taken into account. Unfortunately, it is also one of those areas that still fall a good ways into the "art" side of the house and is not 100% in the "engineering" side (YET!). Which means you need someone that actually knows how to design a mold to produced the proper part. And those guys are NOT cheap.

Also, do you have access to an injection molding machine that has the capacity (both in plastic volume and mold size requirements) to mold these things? Not trying burst your bubble, but when I saw the word "easily" in your original post, I knew you didn't fully understand what you are in for.

Good luck and I hope it works out!
                -- Clint
                1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

What comes easily to one is not the same for another. If you make em people will buy em. Count me in if you can get it done.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                    The side covers are injection molded thermoplastic. Making the molds is NOT a trivial task simply because the final shape of the mold does not actually match the desired final shape of the part! This is due to the thermal contraction as the part is cooling and for an accurate mold, it must be taken into account. Unfortunately, it is also one of those areas that still fall a good ways into the "art" side of the house and is not 100% in the "engineering" side (YET!). Which means you need someone that actually knows how to design a mold to produced the proper part. And those guys are NOT cheap.
                    I have to disagree with your statement, and a few others here. There is plenty of literature out there to accurately account for shrinkage (giggidy). Plastic molding technology is not what it use to be, its not as much as an art form as it use to be. Anyone studying plastic engineering (or even a good mechanical engineering program) will have the tools/information available to properly adjust for shrinkage... Combined with new CAD/CAM technology, drafting the mold becomes fairly easy. Machining will be timely but colleges usually have a capstone project that combines 3D modeling/drafting with CNC machining... I know my college had a plastic engineering major before I attended so they incorporated a lot of plastics into my mechanical degree... Just my 2 cents.
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                      I have to disagree with your statement, and a few others here.
                      You can't have a good argument unless you start with a good disagreement!!!

There is plenty of literature out there to accurately account for shrinkage (giggidy). Plastic molding technology is not what it use to be, its not as much as an art form as it use to be. Anyone studying plastic engineering (or even a good mechanical engineering program) will have the tools/information available to properly adjust for shrinkage...
                      There is a HUGE difference between having the information and being able to correctly apply it. Even the assorted CAD/CAM packages have huge limitations and unless you UNDERSTAND those limitations and how to avoid them or work around them (or just to know when it it is feeding you a line of crap), you will be walking with dragons. And I am graduating with my BSME in 4 weeks and have been using several of these packages extensively for the past few years...

Combined with new CAD/CAM technology, drafting the mold becomes fairly easy.
                      Much easier than it used to be, but still not easy. But, as I said in my original post, there was that (YET!) in there...
                      -- Clint

Comment

Pour in plastics are pretty easy to use if you have the mold. I've done this once or twice.

As for the mold, I know Rhino very well and have (free) access to a CNC machine, machining the mold will only take a few hours, plus more time for sanding and all that stuff. It seems pretty doable.

THAT BEING SAID

it sounds like Yahman has this all worked out already and at 35 a pop, I may just buy a couple and skip the hassle.
                        1979 XS1100 (non special and slightly dented)

Comment

Originally posted by jmcvey1 View Post
                          it sounds like Yahman has this all worked out already and at 35 a pop, I may just buy a couple and skip the hassle.
                          Keep in mind one other thing: The personal satisfaction of knowing YOU made your own side covers!
                          -- Clint

Comment

Yahman is only making repair kits though, not the full side covers right?
                            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                              You can't have a good argument unless you start with a good disagreement!!!

There is a HUGE difference between having the information and being able to correctly apply it. Even the assorted CAD/CAM packages have huge limitations and unless you UNDERSTAND those limitations and how to avoid them or work around them (or just to know when it it is feeding you a line of crap), you will be walking with dragons. And I am graduating with my BSME in 4 weeks and have been using several of these packages extensively for the past few years...

Much easier than it used to be, but still not easy. But, as I said in my original post, there was that (YET!) in there...
                              I graduated and obtained the same degree in 2010 and came from a large drafting and machining background prior to college so I already know the limitations and challenges of creating models and making molds. I have made a few in the past and although I don't claim to be an expert, I did have relatively easy success... Its not rocket science per-say but, I'm sure there is a lot I can even fathom. If I could make as well of a living doing drafting and machining I would have stayed in that field as it was a passion for me... If I had the time and access I would pursue more projects where I could apply that knowledge. Unfortunately it's not the case.
                              Last edited by WMarshy; 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X