Got a new upgrade for the judge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new upgrade for the judge

hey guys i got my new dyna coils dc2-1 1.5 ohm coils in the mail today. i never made my own plug wires. so i got them cut to length but now i got to get the crimp ends on the wire.....do i need a special crimp tool? i have one but it way way to small...maybe someone has a link on how to install these...or should i make one
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Lee,

From what I've seen of spark plug wires, you need to strip back a section, about 1/2" from the end that will be going into the coil, you then fold the inner wire over the end of the insulated end, slip the metal end over the folded wire and insulation, squeeze it together with a pair of pliers, there's usually a point that sticks out inwards towards the wire when you put the metal tip on the wire end, it sticks into the insulation to keep it from slipping off. The metal end has some spring action to it, and when you push it down into the coil end, it gets compressed/squeezed as it fits in. You should also have a rubber slip cover that fits over the wire and down around the knob/tower that's sticking out from the coil body that the wire is fitted into, it slips over that to make a fairly water tight seal.

The plug end should just screw on like the OEMs, but you may have to strip back a little of the outside insulation, not down to the wire, but just a mm if you have real thick/fat wires so that it will fit/screw into the end of the plug cap.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

This is what I got with my Accel wires. They sent the crimping tool with the set of coils and wires.

Last edited by Rasputin; 04-14-2012, 11:29 PM.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Ok i got figured out tc... here is my progress[IMG][/IMG]....

[IMG][/IMG]

Next thing i need to figure out is how to mount them....any pics of what your L brackets looj like fellow xsives?
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

The coils should be pretty easy...but mounting that Superfood is going to be tough...
          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Hey that is awsone stuff. On sale for 1 buck at wally world. Uselly cost about 4 bux a bottle...got 20 of them...

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Oh man, I wish ours had that deal going on!
              Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
              Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Hey Lee, is that green wire in the pic a headlight relay jumper ?!?

I've got mine jumpered too.
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Hey Rasputin, that's a great guide sheet, thanks for posting it.

Lee, I just realized that the photos I had linked to the "BAD" MikesXS Black coils were lost when I changed my ISP. I'll get them back up later today. But it's just as stated....they are L shaped...but because of their size and the limits of space, I had to angle their position so that they actually are slightly slanted front to back, they are not parallel to the frame tubes.

They will bump against each other if you have the L brackets positioned so that the elbow of the L is on the inner location, so I position 1 like an L, the other like _| so that the coils metal center is positioned OUTSIDE of the L vs. Inside the L. Hope that isn't too confusing. Gotta go eat breakfast, will get the photos up soon.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey Lee,

My photos really won't be much help, but this tech tip from 2003 will!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4868

He used longer/wider L brackets, so it depends on how much space you have in there when you try to position them as to how you orient the L brackets and the coil bodies.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

yes that is the jumper wire to the hedlight relay. and Thanks for that link that will help alot... is that in the tech tips if not it should be....

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
                        yes that is the jumper wire to the hedlight relay. and Thanks for that link that will help alot... is that in the tech tips if not it should be....
                        nevermind found it in the repair tech. thought it would of been in the modification tech

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

nevermind found it in the repair tech. thought it would of been in the modification tech
                          Yeah, some of these need to be shuffled around a bit, that's on my list of things to do....
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

hey guys i got my new dyna coils dc2-1 1.5 ohm coils in the mail today. i never made my own plug wires. so i got them cut to length but now i got to get the crimp ends on the wire.....do i need a special crimp tool? i have one but it way way to small...maybe someone has a link on how to install these...or should i make one
                            I think I would have mounted them before cutting the wires
                            Nice upgrade!
                            1970? Honda Z50... gone
                            1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                            1974 Honda CB200... gone
                            1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                            1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                            2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                            1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                              The coils should be pretty easy...but mounting that Superfood is going to be tough...
                              +1 on that...post pics
                              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                              X