Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get better MPG??

Hello All,

I am new to the forums and have been restoring my 79 xs11 special. I have a 4/1 exhaust with a OEM replacment K&N air filter on her and as far as I know the only "MOD" is I took off the Octy and tossed it on the self. I have just bought a set of OEM Yamaha exhaust to put back on. I have been through the carbs and rebuilt them, running all the factory jets. My issue is I am only getting around 17.5 mpg on her and from other postings I should be getting 35-40 mpg. I am not driving her like a race bike just do a little cruising. I really am at a lost if putting the factory pipes back on does not improve the mpg. I have also found a factory air filter to put on as well but not sure if I should hold off and put the pipes on and see if that does not improve anything. Would anyone know if maybe to a valve job would help, there is a very small tick? But I am starting to be at a loss and don't want to keep putting money in her to only be getting around 17.5 mpg.... Any advise would be helpful... Thanks!
    Ken
    79 XS11 Special

Have you synced the carbs after the rebuild? Is your vacuum advance hooked up? Is your ignition system working right?

Which exhaust you have would make very little difference in mileage, whatever the problem is it's not particularly related to that. Are you sure you have '79 carbs on it?
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Carbs have been sync'd, was told the carbs were of the 79 year (brass adjustments), she starts right up no problem with that and all the vacuum lines minus the ocy are hooked up correctly as far as I know.

She is very slugish in 1st to 2nd gear but once in the higher rpms she runs great... don't know if that would help..
      Ken
      79 XS11 Special

Comment

It would help if you could also do a compression check to see what you have. If the bike has not had the valve adjustments done in a long time that may be an issue. As Steve said check the vacume advance and timing and if you do not find the issue get a guage and check compression you can borrow them free from Autozone with a security deposite. You may only need to adjust the valves or you may have some carbon build up that makes it look like a valve problem. Do the simple steps and checks first many things are dependant on other steps being good. It would help to know things like milage, how long the bike was sitting and what new parts you have on it like plugs wire caps etc.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Where do you have the vac advance line hooked up? It SHOULD be hooked up to a nipple on the engine side of the #2 carb body and NOT on the carb intake boots.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, it kind of sounds like an ignition thing to me. Weak spark at some point in the RPM range. Check for free movement of your centrifugal advance mechanism. Pull some vacuum on the dashpot for the vacuum advance. The arm should hold completly in at about 5" of vacuum. With the bike running and timing cover off, bring the RPMs up slowly and watch the vacuum advance mechanism. It should advance until you let off the throttle. Disconnect the vacuum advance hose and plug the carb nipple then raise the RPMs to 5200. Timing should be at 31 degrees for an SF. Make sure you have the right heat range of spark plug (I am one of those old guys that stay away from automotive plugs). Look and see if the PO put on aftermarket coils. If yes then you may need to jump the balast resistor. Check your initial timing (79SF should be at 5 degrees). In general, go through everything 'ignition' before you start chasing those carbs.
            Last edited by TADracer; 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM. Reason: Added wording
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Ok let me try and check some of those things and then I will test and let you all know... Thnx for the advise, now I have somewhere else to look beside the pipes and carbs and air cleaner...
              Ken
              79 XS11 Special

Comment

Working...
              X