Quick question in real time for you diagnosticians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question in real time for you diagnosticians

So I'm in my garage now with my fishtank homemade sync tool, ready to sync up my carbs, when I notice that cylinder number 3 is not firing. I determined this because its exhaust tube is barely touchable, but the others will sizzle my spit. I laid the plug on the engine and it seems to be getting spark. What could be going on? The plug seems wet, I think. I'm reluctant to continue with my synching because you sync to cylinder #3, and if it's wrong, then I'm afraid to mess up the other cylinders so badly that I can't even run the thing.

Any help?
    Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
    mods to come

Have you cleaned the carbs well?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Have you checked compression? CZ

Comment

Nate,

I knew you'd be here for me. And I'm grateful.

But the answer is no, I have not cleaned them well. I have not cleaned them at all. The bike was running nicely a week ago. I just HAD to mess with it because it was idling unpredictably. So I messed around with the valve cover bolts (thought I might look at the valves, which it says to do before synching), sucked the blue fluid out of motion pro's pos and into one cylinder (holy crap, could that be it??), and started her back up and she was running worse. Now I see why -- No. 3 isn't firing.

If I pull the carbs and start messing with them, I'll basically lose the bike for the summer.
        Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
        mods to come

Comment

Have you looked at the plugs at all?

I am guessing the carbs need to be cleaned. Your original problems could have been dirty carbs.

Is there anyone close you you to help you? Carbs can be cleaned in a weekend even if it is your first time.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

CZ,

No, I haven't checked the compression, but I've been meaning to. I figured that wasn't the problem because the bike was running pretty well before started to mess with it.

And Nate,

The plugs look great--tan, dry, relatively new. Even number 3 is ok, it's just wet at the moment. I guess I know you're right that I need to clean the carbs. But I wish I knew what could be causing this change.

And geographically, no, no one is very close. I'm in a NYC suburb. There are lots of bikes around here, but very few NY'er/NJ'ers are here at channel 11.

I'm gonna keep messing with it.

80sg
            mods to come

Comment

Get rid of the homemade bull$#!* and order one of THESE and a set of THESE while your waiting for it to show up pull the carbs and clean them up REALLY GOOD.

All the passages and the main jet wells..........EVERYTHING.

When you get that done do the priliminary bread tie sync ( I prefer to just hold the carbs up to a light and eyeball them). Adjust your mixture screws to approximately where they were when you removed them. ( count turns when you disassemble) they don't have to be perfect but close to what they were and even.

When you get that done the thing should be at least hitting on all 4.

PM me then and I'll try to explain how to do the sync and idle mixture together with the GUAGES you have.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ok ok! So I just bought them. PM on its way.

80sg
                mods to come

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Get rid of the homemade bull$#!* and order one of THESE and a set of THESE while your waiting for it to show up pull the carbs and clean them up REALLY GOOD.

All the passages and the main jet wells..........EVERYTHING.

When you get that done do the priliminary bread tie sync ( I prefer to just hold the carbs up to a light and eyeball them). Adjust your mixture screws to approximately where they were when you removed them. ( count turns when you disassemble) they don't have to be perfect but close to what they were and even.

When you get that done the thing should be at least hitting on all 4.

PM me then and I'll try to explain how to do the sync and idle mixture together with the GUAGES you have.
                  Lol...did you just strong arm this poor guy into buying more tools Greg?
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

A bandaid never did any good on a bullet wound.

If you going to ride and fix your own bike a couple hundred dollars worth of the RIGHT tools ain't out of the question. Otherwise your just pissin' in the wind.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you going to ride and fix your own bike a couple hundred dollars worth of the RIGHT tools ain't out of the question. Otherwise your just pissin' in the wind.
                      +1 I've been riding mine around 3 years and 6k miles with a broken mixture screw in #2 and #4. I bought the sync kit Greg just posted because I was working on a buddies Goldwing and it needed carb work. One night after a few beers I decided to play with mine for the first time....

hmmm no wonder #2 header pipe blues faster than the rest, the screw was broken clean off in the hole @ the bottom blocking the passage. and #4 would always load the plug a little @ idle because the tip of the needle was just missing all together...

Life lesson here, Check your Sh^t, don't second guess it! Buy the right tool, and do it right once. I would have hated for a catastrophic event to happen and I find out it was do to my neglect.
                      Don
                      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Lol, hadnt heard that one before, might use that one in the future

What is wrong with the home built synch tool? JW, I was planning on building one myself...
                        Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                        Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Nothin if you aint shot and need a bandaid. I have seen ones with tubes mounted on plywood that looked reasonable, but Im for buying gauges also.
                          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                            What is wrong with the home built synch tool? JW, I was planning on building one myself...
                            Go ahead........ For the money in my opinion the guage set is a better way to go. Build a kanuter with a fish valve and you'll end up having to work twice as hard and probably intercourse it up anyway. Just like you need more than a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, and a hammer. Just get the right wrench in the first place and you'll save yourself a lot of grief and money.

End of rant.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                              There's nothing wrong with it, it's just tiny bit slower to use is all...

No calibration needed.....
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X