Powdercoat Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdercoat Fuel Tank

Has anyone powdercoated their fuel tank? What are the pro's and con's?
    80 XS11 SG
    79 XS750 SF
    74 KZ400
    78 KZ650
    78 KZ750

I havn't done a tank yet, they really need to be dent free as the powder sticks at a different thickness if there is any filler (bondo I think you lads call it) because the static charge is weaker on the filler.

And I havn't got any dent free tanks of my own

I have some really neat metallic powders and pearl effect powders lined up for the job but never got round to it, again its not perfect for a bike because you can't colour match a set of tank, tail, and sidepanels, the plastics melt at 180oC

Also get a test piece done and check for petrol (gas) resistance, some powder coated finishes can stain.

Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Don't do it.....

Yes, the tank needs to be dent-free because any filler is extremely hard to coat over; it can be done, but it ain't easy... takes special ($$) filler too, no bondo allowed.

Second, as much of a miracle coating that PC is, it's poor choice on large visible items like tanks and fenders. Main problem is it's plastic, and being so is relatively soft and will micro-scratch rapidly, and those scratches don't buff out easily if at all. With that said, I've seen tanks coated but for best results you want to spray a good clear coat over it; the paint is a harder surface and will withstand day to day use without scratching.

And beware the fancy powders; their durability isn't nearly as good as the 'standard' solid colors... BTDT
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Okay then Gents, thanks for preventing me from making a mistake.
        80 XS11 SG
        79 XS750 SF
        74 KZ400
        78 KZ650
        78 KZ750

Comment

I was thinking of powder coating my rims and tank but is there something that works on the rims (other than powder coating) so I can match up the tank and rims with the same color?
          80 XS11 SG
          79 XS750 SF
          74 KZ400
          78 KZ650
          78 KZ750

Comment

Powdercoating rims is a no-go deal too. You can do the front rim (after removing/replacing the wheel bearings), but the rear wheel has non-removable rubber 'cushions' for the spline drive that the cure heat will ruin.

Use the same paint on the rims that you use on the tank. Big trick with the rims is getting them clean enough, as the rough-cast surface holds 'stuff' really well...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Wow! Another potential mess averted.
              80 XS11 SG
              79 XS750 SF
              74 KZ400
              78 KZ650
              78 KZ750

Comment

Not all powder coating is plastic, some is like paint and can be cut back to obtain a finish just like paint, the stuff I use (sorry the name escapes me now) is very tough, more like stove enamel, and much tougher/scratch resistant than any paint I have on the bike.

I've powder coated both front and back rims and left in the rubber drive bushes, they are NOT affect by the heat used for the powder coating I do, 180oC (dunno what that is in oF) but check around at what powders any coaters will use, what petrol resistance they have and what temperatures they cure at. I also use heat proof masking tape to mask off the shiny ali areas of the rims.

Try to use a bike/car/vintage stuff restoring coaters rather than an industrial coaters who will throw your parts in with a batch of other stuff, some of them will use plastic to coat, and won't mask very well, or will bake at higher temps.

Look out for different finishes too, I use a lot of black, but theres satin, matt and gloss, satin gives the best factory finished look, gloss looks good on a shiny bike.

Tom
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

A good read

Click
                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                    I've powder coated both front and back rims and left in the rubber drive bushes, they are NOT affect by the heat used for the powder coating I do, 180oC (dunno what that is in oF) but check around at what powders any coaters will use, what petrol resistance they have and what temperatures they cure at.
                    I'll have to disagree with you on that.... 180C is the same as 356F and that's well above the 'normal' temperature rating of 250F for most rubbers (and about the lowest cure heat you can use with PC). Even the 'high temp' rubbers are only good to 300F unless you get into the silicon types which can go to up to 500F. But that's not what the drive cushions are made of (I don't think that stuff was even invented yet when these bikes were built) so you're baking a lot of life out of them when you expose them to PC cure heat...

They might look fine after curing, but the damage has been done...
                    Last edited by crazy steve; 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I can only speak from experience where the rubbers didn't suffer at all. I have powder coated brake calipers complete, again they work perfecly.
                      Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X