Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New spark plug wires

Hey all,

I'm in the process of reviving a barnyard xs100 special, everything involved in an extensive tune up, ive done. Now i'm ready to replace plugs and wires before I try firing her up for the first time. I eventually want to paint the bike a deep cherry red, not typical for the ole 1100's. My question is, does anyone know where I can buy red spark plug wires for these bikes? Do I need a make your own kit? I've seen pics of colored spark plug wires on these bikes but I can't rememeber where...
    1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

these

http://www.z1enterprises.com/Dyna-Ig...e-red-209.aspx

these are red but im not sure if u have to switch to there coils to use them, but these are the only colored ones i seen,
    1978 XS1100 Macho Maroon!
    http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00361.jpg

Comment

I think TC had a line on a place you could get colored wires...he has those cool green ones on his bike.
      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I looked in the members list and didn't find anyone named TC? Do you have a a link to some pics?
        1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Comment

Im sorry, that was my bad, I meant TopCat. He is one of the mods for the site. You can find a post or two from him on alot of threads. I am not sure I have seen a pic of his bike on the site..there probably is one somewhere, saw it in person though.
          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I also contacted Z1 to see if those wires would work with my factory coil. Hopefully they do because I've got enough money wrapped up into this bike lol.
            1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

Ah cool, well maybe I can PM him to see where he got his?
              1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

You do know that the stock plug wires aren't easily replaceable, right? For a how-to to do this, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137

Generally, the problem that leads owners to think bad wires isn't the wires but the plug caps, and those are replaceable cheaply and easily. The stock wires are solid-core and unless the insulation is visibly damaged they're usually ok. The plug caps do fail however....

Check your coils with an ohmmeter; if you have 25K ohms (+/- 10%) between each plug cap on a coil, they're good. Less, you have bad coils, more you need to check further. Unscrew the plug caps off the wires and check between the wire ends; you should see about 15K ohms. Each plug cap should check at 5K ohms; if these don't check close to that, replace them. Most metric bike shops will carry new NGK plug caps, about $3-5 each. If the separate parts check good, sometimes just trimming about 1/4" off each wire to get 'fresh' wire and reinstalling the cap will fix them.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I wonder if an easier, more acceptable, more cost effective approach would be to remove stock wires, clean them real good with alcohol, and use that liquid electrical tape on them, you can buy it in red. That way, I keep factory plug ends and solid core wires, but I get my red look... Anyone ever tried this?
                  1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKeast View Post
                    I wonder if an easier, more acceptable, more cost effective approach would be to remove stock wires, clean them real good with alcohol, and use that liquid electrical tape on them, you can buy it in red. That way, I keep factory plug ends and solid core wires, but I get my red look... Anyone ever tried this?
                    The wires are permanently molded into the coils...........you'll get a red look alright...and it won't be comin' from the scoot either..............
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

what do you mean by that?
                      1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

- - - i'm ready to replace plugs and wires before I try firing her up for the first time. I eventually want to paint the bike a deep cherry red, not typical for the ole 1100's. My question is, does anyone know where I can buy red spark plug wires for these bikes? - - -
                        Hi Josh,
                        colored plug wires can be got at most automotive stores.
                        Some problems though.
                        Stock coils have the plug wires molded in and it's a chore to replace them.
                        It's unlikely that the red wires will be the same red as the proposed paint job.
                        Aftermarket coils are a good upgrade and the wires are separate but those coils are molded in a bright green.
                        If your aesthetic sense demands red wires it'd totally reject them going into green coils, eh?
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well I did find aftermarket Red coils and Red spark plug wires at Z1. $147 for the both, until I come up with the money for that I'm just going to "paint" the existing plug wires with "liquid electrical tape" in Red color of course.
                          1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

Well I did find aftermarket Red coils...
                            Yes, but the 'red' coils Z1 sells are 1.5 ohm units and will smoke your '81 TCI...

Dyna 'color codes' their coils for input resistance, the compatible coils for these bikes are the 'green' units. You could use the red ones on the older bikes that have the ballast resistor set-up, but it's been found that removing the resistor and using the green coils results in a hotter running spark and better performance.

Rather than red 'paint', you might look for some colored shrink tube...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well I did find aftermarket Red coils and Red spark plug wires at Z1. $147 for the both, until I come up with the money for that I'm just going to "paint" the existing plug wires with "liquid electrical tape" in Red color of course.
                              Hi Josh,
                              Steve sez that coils are color-coded to denote their resistance and the red coils will fry your iggybox so they're out.
                              How about chromed plastic spiral wrap to cover the plug wires?
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X