Cross threaded sparkplug hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross threaded sparkplug hole

Any easy way to fix this? It is just the first couple threads. I am so pissed right now I am about ready to either light this rice burning devil child on fire, or just get out a breaker bar and force the damn spark plug in there for good.
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Man, you have not had the greatest luck in the world, huh?

I'd try running a tap/thread cleaner through it first and see if you can straighten it out. Beyond that, there are definitely fixes, look at Timeserts or Helicoils, I've used and had luck with both.
    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Does Harbor Freight carry the thread/tap cleaner? I really dont want to run to Dothan, but at the same time, staying within a mile of this bike at the moment may not be good for its health...
      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I know you can buy tap and die sets at Harbor Freight, but I don't think I've ever seen a thread chaser. If you use a tap you have to be really careful not to cut into and screw up your existing threads otherwise you will be using the helicoil/timesert for sure :P.

I've bought spark plug thread chasers at Napa before, made by Balkamp I think. They do not cut as much as a tap and so are great for crossthreaded holes.

I've also seen the Helicoils (and less commonly Timeserts) behind the counter at Napa if necessary.
        XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

strip

man, im with ya cause i did the same thing with #3 when i was adjusting the carbs and ckg the plugs. i was totally p/o'd and i couldnt get it right till finally, just using the plug threads, i somehow lined it up as i compared #4's angle, and i got it in. ive always had an issue with #2 and #3. i had to take a day away from my bike and go back with a calmer head. be careful with those aluminum threads.
          Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
          Kerker 4/1
          stock carbs and air box.
          78 headlite, handle bars,
          1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
          crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
          78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
          94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

[QUOTE=

I've bought spark plug thread chasers at Napa before, made by Balkamp I think. They do not cut as much as a tap and so are great for crossthreaded holes.

[/QUOTE]

Bettin that'll work for him since a couple lead-in threads are apparently jacked. Just carefully keep it lined up straight so it leads squarely into lower good threads. Blow out filings by cranking over a few times.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

backtap

I used a backtap I bought off amazon it taps from the inside out do not have to remove the head it expands after you place it in the hole It worked excellent on 2 of mine its made by powerbuilt I think a div of k-d I have a 12 mm one if that helps u can borrow it
              82 XJ1100J
              81 Venturer
              Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

The angles seem really odd on the #2 and #3 holes.

MJPX- Yep, it was the #2 cylinder for me. The Pacifico fairing doesnt make it any easier either!

Danny and Moto- That will be the first thing I try, probably wont get to it this weekend since I have to head down to Mobile and play Army, but next week for sure.

Eastcoaster- Thanks for the offer man, I will try the threadchaser from above first, if that isnt working, I will be looking for that cool device you found. Might be worth my time to pick one up for future use anyhow!
                Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Ya my Vetter fairing gets in my way every time. I can barely sneak my hand in there to start the plugs. When its hot its not much fun. I hate trying to do it with the plug in the socket on an extension. you get no feel that way. I got burn marks all over my right hand (and some hair missing) from last weekend venture.... I'd try threading the plug in there by hand and see if it straightens out the first few threads. use some anti-seize or white lyth grease as a lube to help keep it from being sticky.

I thought I was the only person on earth with this kind of luck... We must be brothers from another life
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                    Ya my Vetter fairing gets in my way every time. I can barely sneak my hand in there to start the plugs. When its hot its not much fun. I hate trying to do it with the plug in the socket on an extension. you get no feel that way. I got burn marks all over my right hand (and some hair missing) from last weekend venture.... I'd try threading the plug in there by hand and see if it straightens out the first few threads. use some anti-seize or white lyth grease as a lube to help keep it from being sticky.

I thought I was the only person on earth with this kind of luck... We must be brothers from another life
                    Why did I end up with the short side of things?? All I want is to be able to ride a ST in comfort...

Yeah, I managed to fry myself by deciding it was a good idea to poke at the CCT right after running the bike...
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                      Why did I end up with the short side of things?? All I want is to be able to ride a ST in comfort...

Yeah, I managed to fry myself by deciding it was a good idea to poke at the CCT right after running the bike...
                      pull the filter housing off with your bare hands without letting the motor cool down... you'll only do it once. man that oil is HOT LOL!
                      Don
                      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                        pull the filter housing off with your bare hands without letting the motor cool down... you'll only do it once. man that oil is HOT LOL!
                        And on this air cooled monster? I bet you heard it sizzle before you felt it...
                        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

And on this air cooled monster? I bet you heard it sizzle before you felt it...
                          nope just a glug glug glug... followed by alot of cursing and jumping around. and then my son pointing and laughing at me!
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I would say that is why I have a cat instead of children...but all he does is stare at me in open contempt and I am pretty sure spends the long hours of the day plotting my demise...
                            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I would say that is why I have a cat instead of children...but all he does is stare at me in open contempt and I am pretty sure spends the long hours of the day plotting my demise...
                              ya but your cat can't fetch beers...
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X