German Chain Drive Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Chain Drive Conversion

I am in no way encouraging the idea of switching to chain drive, but I know that many folks like the idea. I just received the information below from a contact in Holland. The original email was in German (from the XS1100.org German site), so I have posted both the original text, and the Google translated version, along with the related pictures. Please don't contact me about any of this, as I am only the messenger, and know nothing more about this than what is posted here. If the conversion is accurate, they want somthing in the area of $130USD for this thing. I have no idea how the rear end might be modified to accept the chain, but I'll leave that to the experts.

Translation:

Chain conversion kit!

Hello XS 1100 fans.

Don Garvi an Australian I / we offer a chain conversion kit from own production

don@nordon.com.au
    Don Garvie
    Nordon Pty Ltd.
    29 Furness Ave
    Edwards Town
    South Australia 5039
    Australia
    Ph +61 8 8277 9191

Photos in the appendix.

Technical details:

The parts are CNC - machines made from precision aircraft aluminum.
    No welded or extruded parts.
    The shaft is made of hardened steel.
    Galvanized high strength bolts are included.
    The crack taper fits for YAMAHA R1 pinion, because the TC is designed to gear too heavy.

You need no additional parts to rebuild.
    The conversion kit fits without adjustment to the XS standard housing.
    Seals and spacers for the pinion and the pinion are not included.
    The spacers for the pinion must be made individually, depending on the distance to the simmering self / body.

The price for the conversion rate is 1.160, - AUD, shipping to Germany about 100-AUD, plus the import tax and duties.

€ 100.00 = 127.45 Australian dollars - as 03.2012

Delivery time approximately 3 weeks from receipt of order.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Information about the 2012 Yamaha XS 1100 mark meeting
    in my home

Veterama in Ludwigshafen from 20 - 22 April
    Level - open area 710

Yours sincerely,
    Best Regards
    Cordialement
    xsmaier
    Werner Maier
    Yamaha XS 1100 - Germany - IG - Palatinate
    Yamaha XS 1100 - Interest Group - Palatinate Germany
    Yamaha XS 1100 - Groupe d `Intérêt - Palatinat Allemagne
    And on-u.Verkauf spare parts of motorcycles
    Purchase and sale of spare parts and motorcyeles
    Achat et vente de motos et Spare Parts
    Kerschensteinerstr.11
    D - 67071 Ludwigshafen
    Phone: 0049 - 621 - 6297045
    Fax. : 0049 - 621 - 6709582
    Mobile: 0049 - 171 - 7129034
    xsmaier@xs1100.org
    http://www.xs1100.org
    Ps: For inquiries or replies to my offer - Please always attach all correspondence along with pictures below. Only thus can the whole correspondence can be traced.
    And please always on top / above answers.

Original text:

Kettenumbausatz!

Hallo XS 1100 Fans.

Don Garvi ein Australier hat mir / uns einen Kettenumbausatz aus eigener Herstellung angeboten

don@nordon.com.au
    Don Garvie
    Nordon Pty Ltd
    29 Furness Ave
    Edwardstown
    South Australia 5039
    Australia
    Ph +61 8 8277 9191

Fotos siehe im Anhang.

Technische Einzelheiten:

Die Teile sind auf CNC - Präzisionsmaschinen aus Luftfahrtaluminium hergestellt.
    Keine gepressten oder geschweißten Teile.
    Die Welle ist aus gehärtetem Stahl.
    Verzinkte hochbelastbare Schrauben gehören zum Lieferumfang.
    Die Ritzelaufnahme passt für YAMAHA R1 Ritzel, da das TZ Ritzel zu schwer zu beschaffen ist.

Man braucht keine zusätzlichen Teile zum Umbau.
    Der Umbausatz passt ohne Anpassung an das XS Standardgehäuse.
    Dichtungen, Distanzringe für das Ritzel und das Ritzel werden nicht mitgeliefert.
    Die Distanzringe für das Ritzel müssen je nach Abstand zum Simmering/Gehäuse individuell selbst hergestellt werden.

Der Preis für den Umbausatz beträgt 1.160,- AUD, Versand nach Deutschland ca. 100,-AUD, zuzüglich der Einfuhrumsatzsteuer und Zollgebühren.

100,00 € = 127,45 Australische Dollar – Stand 03.2012

Lieferzeit ca. 3 Wochen ab Bestellungseingang.

############################

Info über das YAMAHA XS 1100 Markentreffen 2012
    in meiner Homepage

Veterama in Ludwigshafen vom 20.- 22.April
    Stand - Freigelände 710

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Best Regards
    Cordialement
    xsmaier
    Werner Maier
    Yamaha XS 1100 - Deutschland - IG - Pfalz
    Yamaha XS 1100 - Interest Group - Palatinate Germany
    Yamaha XS 1100 - Groupe d`Intêrêt - Palatinat Allemagne
    An-u.Verkauf von Motorrädern u. Ersatzteilen
    Purchase and sale of motorcyeles and spare parts
    Achat et vente de motos et piêces dêtachêes
    Kerschensteinerstr.11
    D - 67071 Ludwigshafen
    Phone : 0049 - 621 - 6297045
    Fax. : 0049 - 621 - 6709582
    Mobil : 0049 - 171 - 7129034
    xsmaier@xs1100.org
    http://www.xs1100.org
    Ps: Bei Antworten oder Nachfragen auf mein Angebot - Bitte immer den gesamten Schriftverkehr nebst Bildern unten anhängen.Nur so kann der gesammte Schriftverkehr nachvollzogen werden.
    Und Bitte immer oben / darüber Antworten.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

That engine...is so clean...

And you, sir, are a rabble rouser
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Conversion rate..

1.160 in German means to us 1,160 Euro... The period = a comma in our numbers.

Thats something on the order of $1,500 US Dollars, not $130

Plus shipping.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        1.160 in German means to us 1,160 Euro... The period = a comma in our numbers.

Thats something on the order of $1,500 US Dollars, not $130

Plus shipping.

John
        Not sure where you're getting that number from. I see 100,00 euros. Translated to 100 or $130 usd. Plus shipping.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          Not sure where you're getting that number from. I see 100,00 euros. Translated to 100 or $130 usd. Plus shipping.
          Nevermind... I mis-read the original message. I was reading the $ conversion rate instead of the price. You're right - it's $1519.95
          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

i just got mine form mike off ebay. the unit is well made. and cant wait to get it on the bike to see how it performs.

Comment

Australian Chain Drive Unit

Dunno why you're calling it a German unit. It's made in Australia by Stuart Garvie.

Here's a link to photos - CLICK

Here's a link to the company specs sheet - CLICK

Here's a letter from Stuart regarding the unit -

"We are a manufacturing Company with a product range that includes some Competition Motorcycle Accessories, one of these items is a kit to convert a Yamaha XS1100 shaft drive to a chain drive.

Thank you for your enquiry for a MotionLogics XS1100 Chain Drive Conversion Kit. This Kit is based on the chain drive Malcolm Pitman made in the late 70's early 80's. It is a proven system that has an inner case that replaces the right hand shaft drive gear box and an outer case that replaces the gear box side cover.

The sprocket shaft extends from the inner case to the outer case and is supported by a bearing on each end of the shaft. This superior support eliminates the wear and damage caused by the chain drag when a shaft is supported by two bearings mounted, side by side.

The MotionLogics Kit comes complete with all parts except gaskets and sprocket spacers. The sprocket spacers are to be custom made by you to suit the alignment of the drive sprocket in relation to the wheel sprocket.

Using a 520 chain you will be able to fit a 16 tooth sprocket (it may be able to fit a 17 tooth sprocket if
              part of the engine case machined away).

Please note Nordon Pty. Ltd. manufacture a range of motor cycle accessories under the trade names of Billetcreations and MotionLogics. We also have a facebook page which we have just started "MotionLogics" http://www.facebook.com/?sk=ff&ap=1#...logics/1483197

Please send your full name and address so that we can advise a price for the XS1100 Conversion kit delivered to your door.

Payment is to be made by electronic transfers though the banking system, we are not set up to handle PayPal or Credit Card payments.

We would welcome your questions. "

I also have no intentions of converting my bike to Chain Drive, or have any connection to the company involved. I'm just putting up the info for those that are interested in the concept and are looking for a bulletproof design.
              Last edited by Eveready1100; 04-13-2012, 07:38 AM.
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                Dunno why you're calling it a German unit. It's made in Australia by Stuart Garvie.
                Only because the message was written in German, posted on the German forum, xs1100.org. I know nothing about the manufacturer, so that's all I had to go by.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

What is the typical setup for the rear sprocket?
                  '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Working...
                  X