Oil, Oil, Go Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil, Oil, Go Away...

Alright...I STILL have an oil leak. It seems to be coming from the recess above the galley plug. But maybe it is somehow coming from inside the ignition cover? I know you guys mentioned a seal somewhere that can fail, and requires, or doesn't, the case to be split? Sigh...here are some photos...maybe someone with a keener eye can shed some light on this. And yes, I replaced the galley plug o-ring, and put a ACCT on it, neither are leaking.

Here is what the gasket looked like when I pulled off the cover with the bike running, I had just put it on yesterday.

Here is a picture of the plug and recess...I know it looks like the plug is the culprit, but the oil drops are forming above it, and rolling down. And sorry it is a little blurry, this digital camera is getting old, and wont focus so well anymore...
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Is there any oil inside the timing cover? Or is it coming from that bolt down there with the drip about to fall off of it?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The crank seal behind the timing assembly can leak. TRBig posted an automotive type seal he has used to replace it successfully that does not require splitting the cases.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Nate- No, I replaced that o-ring yesterday, and laid under the bike today as it ran to watch where the oil is coming from. Must be inside the timing cover.

DGXSER- That must be the culprit then. Sigh, It will just have to make it a couple more weeks till I have enough freetime to tear it apart and replace that seal, thanks.
        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I've been fighting the same problem. I replaced the galley plug and o-ring, but still more drips. Doing a little more research I saw more people pointing to the crank seal, and referencing this thread. Sure enough, my leak starts under the timing cover.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=crank+seal

I read this thread, getting an idea of what I need to do. Then I see the original posters signature... and I realize, this was the previous previous owner (ppo) of my bike.

*facepalm*

Comment

This seal here......

It can be replaced without splitting the cases but all the ignition parts need to be removed.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

My 79SF has the same problem, slow leak inside the timing cover. I just RTV'd the cover on and put a small dab over the weep hole to keep it from coming out, no worries.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                My 79SF has the same problem, slow leak inside the timing cover. I just RTV'd the cover on and put a small dab over the weep hole to keep it from coming out, no worries.
                I am pretty sure if I did that, my ignition would drowned within three weeks, considering the amount of oil that is covering my boot every night when I pull into the parking lot at work
                Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Oh ok, didn't know it was that bad, mine leaks a tablespoon about every 5K, I thought it was much worse seeing the oil on my boot. The seal isn't that difficult to replace, no splitting cases necessary, just use a non outer lip type standard automotive seal 32x48x8, they're about $3. The factory seal can be carefully pried out using a screwdriver and a pair of dykes.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yeah, I lay some shop towels down everytime I pull into my garage, and I have to change them out every three days or so...a tablespoon every 5k would be a dream...

This is what I have going on...

It has actually managed to stain my left boot back to the original color
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                      Yeah, I lay some shop towels down everytime I pull into my garage, and I have to change them out every three days or so...a tablespoon every 5k would be a dream...

This is what I have going on...

It has actually managed to stain my left boot back to the original color
                      Swap boots for a while before you fix the seal, eh?
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        Swap boots for a while before you fix the seal, eh?
                        Lol, I have been tempted to poke a hole in the other side of the engine just so they would match!

Where have you been hiding?
                        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                        X