where to get carb rebuild kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to get carb rebuild kit

I'm gonna be buying a rebuild kit soon and wondering where you guys would suggest i buy? any idea what all 4 should cost?

I just bought four kits from George Fix for $70. I couldn't find a better price. He ships immediately. They sent me K&L kits.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      I just bought four kits from George Fix for $70. I couldn't find a better price. He ships immediately. They sent me K&L kits.
      He's the best price, and pretty much all you'll find are K&L kits anyway. You can buy everything separately but that will get expensive. The issue with these kits is the furnished jet needles have been reported as causing problems as well as the main/pilots jets. Genuine Mikuni jets seem to work better, the jet needles are NLA so unless your's are heavily worn or damaged, reuse the stock ones.

The kits are a decent deal because they include the bowl gasket, float valve and seat, and new idle screws (besides the other jets) all of which will probably need replacing. Buying these separate can be the same $ or more as a kit.

DO make sure the furnished parts match what you pull out, as there have been problems with incorrect jets in the kits on occasion.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

thats much better than i found!

Comment

if i buy that kit would it be easier to just but Mikuni jets? what size do i need?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo75 View Post
            if i buy that kit would it be easier to just but Mikuni jets? what size do i need?
            You can't get an answer to that question unless we know something about your bike.

What model is it? (ex. XS1100E, XS1100SF....etc.)

What modifications exist? (ex. pod filters, aftermarket exhaust,...etc.)

With those questions answered, someone can give you a guess where to start.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

That depends.... Are you doing a straight rebuild and your bike is all stock? Or has it been modified with aftermarket exhaust and/or air filters? Different jetting can be needed if it's been altered, but if the bike is still stock you can probably just clean the original jets and reinstall them as long as you don't booger them up getting them out.

Jet sizes vary with year/model/carb type, you need to know what you have first...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

as far as i know its stock with the factory jets and pipe. i need to tear apart and take a few more pictures

Comment

as far as i know its stock with the factory jets and pipe. i need to tear apart and take a few more pictures
                  What model, or at least, what year model is your bike?
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

If you haven't torn it apart yet, you may not need an entire rebuild kit. Save some money and clean those brass parts good and you may not have to replace them.
                    When I got my project bike, the carbs had been sitting with gas in them for over 5 years. I was expecting sludge, instead I found green corrosion. It took me 4 times with the carb cleaner and various pics and poking wires, but I got them all clean and good to go. (execpt the float needles/valves. I couldn't save them)
                    Even my gaskets were okay.
                    Just be careful when you take it apart so you don't break anything and you can probably save it all.

Even if it's just one part you need, maybe someone here has that piece that broke (or just can get right).

I don't want to discourage you, but you will get to know your carbs, you'll probably be seeing a lot more of them. Every time a gets a little easier though.
                    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                    The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.
                    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                    Scarlet
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                    Hugo
                    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                    X