Rev limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
    When I had the opportunity to run my XS for the first time on the open road I was a little surprised to see that according to the tach it was running just about the same RPM at 60 MPH as my FZ1, which is just about 4000. It just seemed strange that yamaha would set up a 1100 cc cruiser to run at the same RPM as a "high energy" sport bike with a little over 100cc less displacement and a tendency to be "pipey". (the FZ1 that is)
    My XS11 Special and my XS650 Special are extremely close in rpm vs. speed in 5th gear. Both bikes have stock final drive ratio. I think it works well for both of them. The 11 make RPM quickly and the 650 has plenty of torque at the bottom. Both bikes will pass slow traffic in a hurry.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
      From reading the Bob Jones book, it seemed like Yamaha was getting into uncharted territory with the XS1100... I think perhaps they were still in a bit of "lets see what happens if we do this" phase when this bike was produced. I don't know that they really had sport and cruiser classes back then? Could be wrong though, it was before my time.
      It was before my time also, but I agree -- I don't really see the XS1100 as a cruiser. It's a UJM, or a standard.
      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
        It was before my time also, but I agree -- I don't really see the XS1100 as a cruiser. It's a UJM, or a standard.
        One of the best things about the XS11 is that it can be just about everything to anybody. It's not great on the dirt, but it was the superbike of the time, with loads of power, but can be outfitted with luggage and a full touring package if that's what suits you. It was the grandfather of the modern sportbike, as the FJ followed soon after, with the first styling that looks like the sportbikes of today, but it also competed with the Goldwing for touring.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          One of the best things about the XS11 is that it can be just about everything to anybody. It's not great on the dirt, but it was the superbike of the time, with loads of power, but can be outfitted with luggage and a full touring package if that's what suits you. It was the grandfather of the modern sportbike, as the FJ followed soon after, with the first styling that looks like the sportbikes of today, but it also competed with the Goldwing for touring.
          Exactly what I was thinking -- bikes seems to be really pigeonholed now, there are very few jacks of all trades like the XS (and other standards of the time).

I'll say I've taken the XS offroad and while it's not the most pleasant thing in the world, it worked :P. Exhaust scrapes a little too often.
          XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I agree Bug, Superbike fits it pretty well.
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
            X