Rev limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev limiter?

is there a Rev limiter on my xs special 1980? everytime i reach the 8000rpm, it kind a just stop there like it was restricted...

No built in rev limiters, but it sounds like you've got one form of one.. lol.

What kind of air filter(s) are you running? Probably air or fuel related, but could be electrical also. Need more info to narrow things down. Does it feel like it's missing at all, or just that's all it's got?
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Nope, unfortunately (or fortunately?). Mine will happily bury the needle above 10k if I forget
      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

I don't know how anyone can even find out if they have these problems... I feel like I'm going to blow up the bike if I get over 7k! I'm really pushing it if I hold it over 5k for any more than a few seconds!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          I don't know how anyone can even find out if they have these problems... I feel like I'm going to blow up the bike if I get over 7k! I'm really pushing it if I hold it over 5k for any more than a few seconds!

Just get on it hard and hit false neutral between a gear.. lol. I'm scared to think of how many times my tach needle has bounced off the stop at the max rpm.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Bug,

When I'm running these mountain roads, I try not to let the RPM fall below 5K. I believe this machine loves RPM.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Not sure, but mine zips beyond 8500 rpm without any hesitation. Quickly, too, and most of the time I try to keep the engine spinning above 4-5k. She likes the zoom.
              XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Ahahaha....you and I ride these bikes slower then the actual old men on this forum!
                Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                Ozark, Alabama

Comment

hey Bug and Joab,this old man doesn't drive like that.I baby my baby. I do clean it out from time to time,but i've never bounced the needle off the stop on the tach,to afraid it'd drop a rod.
                  FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by JeruelB View Post
                    is there a Rev limiter on my xs special 1980? everytime i reach the 8000rpm, it kind a just stop there like it was restricted...
                    If it just runs out of steam it sounds like fuel or air...or both. Begs the question, has anyone played around with your stuff before you got it? In stock form your motor should zip right up to and over redline.

If you are stock and all is well at lower RPMs then my recommendation would be to check out everything fuel and spark related and get it back to as close to a factory baseline as possible and then start from there.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I would try a high speed chop and see what the plugs look like. If you are starving for fuel and need bigger jetting to fix it that will show on your plugs. I regularily run my bikes to the redline (at least once every time out) and have had no ill effects. I have also hit the false neutral and can not believe how fast these things will rev to the stop. As has been said before it it falls on its face at 8 grand then something is afoul. Personally I would look fuel wise first.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

So you've never had it over 80MPH? With the stock FD 5K is about 60MPH. Come on bug.

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
                        Nope, unfortunately (or fortunately?). Mine will happily bury the needle above 10k if I forget

+1 Danny. I've done that MULTIPLE times.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by JeruelB View Post
                          That is the same problem Natemoen was having a while back. He never did post whether he got it fixed or not
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

With the stock FD 5K is about 60MPH. Come on bug.
                            60MPH is closer to 4K, even on my Special.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

On my special with the 850FD the tach reads just under 5K at 70.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X