Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Handlebars

Hi Guys,
    I installed these handlebars Saturday and I'm going to need a shorter clutch cable and throttle cable. The throttle is a little slow to return when I let go. It's probably not too much of a problem as long as I'm the only one riding her ;-)

I'm sure some of you have had this same problem and I was wondering how you solved it.
    Would a XS650 cable work or are they the same length?
    Thanks,
    Mark

I have the same bars,and I don't have any problems.try lubing the cable,adjusting it,or check for any kinks in the cable. I just pushed the extra cable under the tank.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Cuda 69

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I just thought there might be too many bends with the extra length.

Comment

If need be you can reroute it so the bends ar long and smooth. Just make sure it doesn't bind when you turn the front wheel.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I put shorter bars on mine, and just had to sort of re-route the cable so that the angles were less severe. Definitely worth a shot unless you just need a new cable. How are the mirrors working out for you? I ended up being able to see nothing but my shoulders and ended up going with bar-end mirrors (which I love).
          Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM.
          XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Thanks guys

I'll try rerouting them tomorrow. The mirrors work pretty good right now and they should be better when it warms up around here :.-) I See about half of my arms.
            29 in the morning when I go to work means extra stuff on under my jacket.

Comment

Danny, I'm thinking of going that route.I can see ok with my mirrors,but not satisfied completely.Can still see my shoulders.
              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

forgot to ask you,do you have a wildcat? they were one hell of a car,455 engine I think and rode like a caddy. A friend of mine had one,till he totaled it,rapped it round a tree. they were top of the line back in the day.
                FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

bars

id like to change my bars to something like those. what are the specs and where did u guys get yours from. mine look like bull horns from my 78, and the 81's were like a choppers, high and close together. hey Cuda, do u have a 69? i wanted a 70 Cuda but couldnt find one so i bought a 71 Lime Green Challenger
                  Max
                  Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM.
                  Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
                  Kerker 4/1
                  stock carbs and air box.
                  78 headlite, handle bars,
                  1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
                  crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
                  78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
                  94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Cuda69 & mjpxs11sh

Cuda,
                    I've got a 1966 Widcat W/425 Nailhead engine 340HP 465Lbs Torque

Heading into Graceland

mjpxs11sh,
                    These bars are $30 from thealphamoto on eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                      Danny, I'm thinking of going that route.I can see ok with my mirrors,but not satisfied completely.Can still see my shoulders.
                      They're definitely worth a try, I think I paid $22 for a cheap pair on eBay, just to try them out. The only issue I have with them is that it took some time to get used to looking down at the bar ends to see the mirrors, but that only took a few hours of riding to get over. I have a lot wider field of vision with them, and they're definitely better than the previous view of my shoulders. I always follow with a head check anyway.

If these break, I'm satisfied enough with them that I'd buy another, better (and probably more expensive) pair. The ones from eBay can be kind of fiddly, but aren't too bad for the price.
                      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Working...
                      X