Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent e-mails about.........bearings again

Hi All

No, I don't have a one-track mind. I'm starting this new thread about rear wheel bearings again to try and establish how many people would want one if I can get any more. I have received several e-mails from XSives who didn't buy any from me last time and who now find that they need one. Some people didn't notice my posts about dwindling stock or just forgot to buy. Others only just bought their first XS1100 and joined the forum. Others have bought another XS1100 and find it needs the bearing.

I have to buy these bearings and pay for them in advance. I also have to pay for 10kg of airfreight to the UK and import duty if the package is assessed by Customs. In order to get my outlay back, I have to sell every bearing and I obviously don't want to find myself stuck with a load of them for years.

I hate the thought of bikes out there with wobbly wheels and frustrated owners, so I'm thinking of asking for yet another favour. I don't want to do this if only 6 people actually would buy one though! I'm sure you understand. So... here's a poll. Please answer honestly as I will base any phone call to Japan on the results (or not)...
    I would buy ONE bearing
    42.86%
    I would buy TWO bearings
    9.52%
    I would buy THREE bearings
    19.05%
    I would not buy a bearing at all
    28.57%
    Last edited by James England; 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

JAT James but some of us bought multiples from you. Maybe some of those would be for resale as well. Just mentioning this as I would hate to see you stuck with bearings you can not sell. Personally I have the two from you and an original (new) NTN bearing and one that is from a parts bike that could be re-used. I have plans for the three new ones at least but I am sure some of the boys bought em in case and may be persuaded to sell. Something to think about before ordering another 100 of em.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
      I am sure some of the boys bought em in case and may be persuaded to sell. Something to think about before ordering another 100 of em.
      Yes, I have pointed this out to people who've emailed me. I've told them that I'm sure no XSive who has two or three bearings hoarded away would see a fellow XSive off the road with a wobbly wheel and that maybe posting an SOS thread might be a good idea. I let someone have my own spare last time and now find I'll probably need it! I'm looking at another XS1100 on eBay..... I can't resist them
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Honestly, I am a hoarder, so if you go off and order a bunch more rare bearings, I will probably pick up another two from you...
        Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
        Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
          Honestly, I am a hoarder, so if you go off and order a bunch more rare bearings, I will probably pick up another two from you...
          I hope you voted in the poll? I'll be going on the results of that as to whether to abase myself in Japanese-style humility....

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            I hope you voted in the poll? I'll be going on the results of that as to whether to abase myself in Japanese-style humility....
            But of course!
            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I received mine the other day James,my kids got a kick out of the stamp.lol,there in there twenties but they don't get out much.
              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                I received mine the other day James,my kids got a kick out of the stamp.lol,there in there twenties but they don't get out much.
                Good old Royal Mail! I don't know how the Queen delivers all that mail....

Comment

I got mine the other day James I just forgot to contact you. Sorry.

Thank you!
                  1980 XS1100G
                  -4:2 exhaust
                  -Pods
                  -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Bearings

I just got mine this morning. Yes, the stamp was cool. For me, these are extras.

James, thanks for doing this.

J
                    Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                    mods to come

Comment

Wheel bearing

Hi James, I received my bearing today. Thanks, Harold

Comment

Hi Folks

Looking at the results in the poll and seeing the ratio of responses/ views of the thread, It really doesn't look to be feasible for me to pull out the stops in order to get hold of 20 bearings or less.

I assume that those people who bought the last two times I got some (150 of them in total) are well 'insured' re bearing failure and obviously won't need any more. Some people bought 2 and 3 bearings and so there are plenty out there.

I'd really want to be looking into the possibility of a minimum of 50 bearings, as any less would be a bit embarrassing to ask for, if you see what I mean.

So, to those people who've PM'd me to buy bearings, I offer my apologies! I realise that people acquire 'new' XS1100's, or bearings fail, or perhaps people aren't overly concerned about their present bearing and, in these austere times, spending money unnecessarily is to be avoided! I suspect we're all in the same situation, regardless of country.

Comment

Maybe ask the question every 6 months, or a year?

Lol, your already working overtime finding us the impossible, so I don't want to add a scheduled event to your agenda, just a thought.
                          Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                            Maybe ask the question every 6 months, or a year?

Lol, your already working overtime finding us the impossible, so I don't want to add a scheduled event to your agenda, just a thought.
                            I suppose that's a possible. The problem is that things can change in a year re personnel at the factory etc. The poll is still running, so, if it reaches, say 30 bearings, I'd go ahead and see if I can get another 50 made. I wouldn't mind sitting on 20 for a year or so; there's always going to be a demand for them, I suspect, although it may slow down for a while....

Comment

Working...
                            X